Textbook resources owned by the U Libraries. The majority of are ebooks.
- Enelow, Kursmark, Kursmark, Louise, & EBSCOhost. (2010). Expert resumes for career changers (2nd ed., Expert Resumes). Indianapolis, IN: JIST Pub. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/p0cbn8/UMN_ALMA51616329220001701
- Wallwork, A. (2014). CVs, resumes, and LinkedIn : A guide to professional English (Guides to professional English). New York: Springer. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51634430610001701
- Business English for Success. (2011). Place of publication not identified]: [publisher not identified]. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51765088150001701 (This on is an open textbook)
- Hinds, M. (2016). The Vault guide to resumes and job-hunting skills : A step-by-step guide to preparing for your job search (Second ed., Vault career intelligence). New York: Vault. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51650676090001701
- Resume Writing Tips https://careerwise.minnstate.edu/jobs/resumes.html (from Minnesota State)
- How to Write a Masterpiece of a Resume https://rockportinstitute.com/resources/how-to-write-a-masterpiece-of-a-resume/ (commercial source, but good content)
Resources from UofM
- Resumes, CVs, and Cover Letters https://www.sph.umn.edu/current/careers/students/resources/resumes-cvs-cover-letters/
- Resumes https://www.cehd.umn.edu/career/resumes/
- OITE Career Services: Guide to Resumes & Curricula Vitae https://www.med.umn.edu/sites/med.../guide_to_resumes_curricula_vitae.pdf
- Resume Writing https://www.careerhelp.umn.edu/sites/careerhelp.../resume_writing_1.pdf
- Resume Writing Guide https://www.class.umn.edu/crimson/.../handoutresume_for_everybody.pdf
Ebooks owned by the U Libraries
Networking (business networking)
- Thilenius, Pahlberg, Havila, Thilenius, Peter, Pahlberg, Cecilia, & Havila, Virpi. (2016). Extending the business network approach : New territories, new technologies, new terms. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51667096550001701
- Peris-Ortiz, Ferreira, Peris-Ortiz, Marta, & Ferreira, João J. (2017). Cooperative and Networking Strategies in Small Business. (Innovation, technology, and knowledge management). Cham: Springer. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51675165610001701
- Levine, A., & Ebrary, Inc. (2015). Networking for nerds : Find, access and land hidden game-changing career opportunities everywhere. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley Blackwell. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/p0cbn8/UMN_ALMA51633150430001701
- Business Communication for Success. (2015). https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51666711210001701 (open textbook)
Networking (business networking)
- How to Build Your Mortuary Industry Network https://www.natlmortuaryshipping.com/news/how-to-build-your-mortuary-industry-network
- 6 Ways For Funeral Homes To Connect With The Community https://blog.frontrunnerpro.com/funeral-home-community-building/
- What Is Communication? https://pressbooks-dev.oer.hawaii.edu/cmchang/chapter/1-2-what-is-communication/
- Face-To-Face Communication Module https://careers.usc.edu/employers/train-your-employees/communicating/module/
- How the Communication Process Works https://youtu.be/q6u0AVn-NUM (7:34 min)
Business Plans and Strategic Management
Ebooks owned by the U Libraries
- Gale Research Inc, & Gale. (1995). Business Plans Handbook : A Compilation of Actual Business Plans Developed by Small Businesses throughout North America. (access to yearly handbooks up to 2017) https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA21339216020001701
- May, G. (2010). Strategic planning : Fundamentals for small business. New York: Business Expert Press. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/p0cbn8/UMN_ALMA51609333900001701
- Diderich, C. (2020). Design Thinking for Strategy : Innovating Towards Competitive Advantage (Management for professionals). Cham: Springer. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51781802090001701
- Spencer, B., & Ebrary, Inc. (2013). Business model design and learning : A strategic guide. New York, N.Y.] (222 East 46th Street, New York, NY 10017): Business Expert Press. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51609330480001701
- Sellars, D., & Safari Books Online. (2009). Business plan project : A step-by-step guide to writing a business plan. New York: Business Expert Press. https://primo.lib.umn.edu/permalink/f/1jg5c4a/UMN_ALMA51609335400001701
Some of these resources are from commercial sites, so will contain ads.
- Skripak, Stephen J. (2018). Fundamentals of Business, 2nd Edition, Blacksburg, VA: VT Publishing. http://hdl.handle.net/10919/84848. Licensed with CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0.
- open textbook -- includes chapters on forms of business ownership, human resources, accounting, ethics, pricing and more).
- A Sample Funeral Home Business Plan Template https://www.profitableventure.com/funeral-home-business-plan/
- What is a Business Plan? - Bplans Explains Everything https://youtu.be/FIoGLHT4wGE (3:25)
- Feasibility Studies and Business Plans: Their Role in Planning for Success https://funeralbusinessadvisor.com/feasibility-studies-and-business-plans-their-role-in-planning-for-success/funeral-business-advisor
- 9 Steps to Business Success (Key Takeaways from The Funeral Service Plan conference) https://www.frazerconsultants.com/2018/12/key-takeaways-from-the-funeral-services-business-plan-part-1/ https://www.frazerconsultants.com/2018/12/key-takeaways-from-the-funeral-service-business-plan-part-2/
- Business Ethics Resource Center (University of St. Thomas) https://berc.centerforethicsinpractice.org/
- website offers free practical tools and information tailored to help businesses develop resilient and ethical organizations.
- SWOT Analysis - What is SWOT? Definition, Examples and How to Do a SWOT Analysis https://youtu.be/JXXHqM6RzZQ (6:27 min)
Government Business Resources
Minnesota Government Resources
- Start a business (Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State). Includes links to many resources and templates
A Guide to Starting a Business in Minnesota (Small Business Administration Office, Minnesota Department of Employment & Economic Development.
A concise summary discussion of major issues, questions and concerns that are most commonly raised by those contemplating a business startup.
Federal Business Resources