About this course guide
This guide will walk you through all of the library-related skills you'll need to complete your MUS 1501/MUS 1511 assignment, including:
- Finding physical items like books, scores, and recordings in the University Libraries online catalog
- Finding journals (both print and online versions) in the University Libraries catalog
- Identifying and deciphering the different parts of a catalog record
- Finding physical materials and using the Music Library's resources when you visit in person
All of the skills that will be especially helpful for your MUS 1501/MUS 1511 assignment are labeled on the tabs to the left as "Helpful for MUS 1501/1511"!
This guide will also cover some general library and research skills that will be good to know for future classes, including:
- How to choose a topic and start a research project
- Getting background information on your topic to get started with a new research project
- Where to look for help with formatting citations like bibliography entries and footnotes
- Using Interlibrary Loan to borrow materials from other libraries
- Other useful UMN Libraries services like borrowing phone chargers, reserving group study rooms, and more
All of the skills that will help you with conducting research and using the University Libraries are labeled "For future projects" on the tabs to the left.
There's a lot of material on this guide so just remember that you can always contact
Jessica Abbazio, Music Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org for help!