Browse scholarly journals available from the UMN Libraries on your tablet device, iPhone, or via the web using BrowZine.
- Access thousands of scholarly journals anywhere you have WiFi access.
- View complete issues of journals including the table of contents.
- Create a personal library of your favorite journals for easy access on your BrowZine interface.
- Be alerted when a new issue of a journal is published.
- Save articles on your mobile device to read later even when you are off line.
- Download BrowZine articles to Mendeley, Zotero, and other citation services to help keep track of your research.
BrowZine -- One Minute Overview
Setting up BrowZine
Via your browser
- Browse UMN journals online with BrowZine (no account needed).
- To save journals and articles to your online bookshelves, sign-up for a free BrowZine account.
- See these directions for help saving journals and articles to your BrowZine account.
On your mobile devices
- BrowZine is currently available for iPad, iPhone, Android tablets and phones, and Kindle Tablets.
- On the next screen, if you are on campus, it is possible to access UMN journal content by tapping on the "Continue" button without installing the UMN VPN (Virtual Private Network).
- If you are not on campus, or tapping on the "Continue" button does not work, exit BrowZine and set up VPN access for your device.
Benefits of BrowZine
Why use BrowZine?
- Keep up to date on current research in your discipline without having to carry around paper journals or track publications individually online.
- Get an overview of current research available in the journal format including articles you might miss using a focused online search.
- Enjoy the freedom of access to scholarly journals on a mobile device.
When to use other resources
- When you want to do in depth research. The BrowZine interface only displays recent issues of journals and it does not include a function for searching within or across journals.
- When an online scholarly journal is not yet accessible via BrowZine. BrowZine currently has agreements with a wide range of scholarly publishers but not necessarily all that provide journals available online at the University of Minnesota.
- When you want to read popular materials. BrowZine only includes scholarly journals and does not include popular magazines or newspapers.
- When a journal is not yet available in an online format. Many disciplines have publications that are only available in print.
This guide was adapted from the UC Berkeley Libraries BrowZine guide, with thanks.
Devices BrowZine can currently be used on
- Web browsers
- iPad and iPad Mini running iOS 7.x or later
- Android tablets running Android 4.0 or higher including Google Nexus 7 or 10 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD
- iPhones as of January 2014
- Android smart phones