Databases for Secondary Literature (Articles)
Click "view online," "PDF," or the button to connect to the full text if we have it. The will also indicate whether a print copy is held in the Libraries. If not available, request the item via Interlibrary Loan.
Find Books & More
Below are some sample searches in Libraries Search. Use the limits on the right to narrow the results further.
- ("blacks" or "africans") and German/Germany and 18th century as subjects
- "slavery" and German/Germany as subjects
- Blacks in literature and German/Germany and 18th century as subjects
- Blacks in Art as subject
TIPS FOR FINDING BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- When looking for books and book chapters:
- What is the difference between Libraries Search and the Library Catalog? Libraries Search includes all items in the Library Catalog but it also includes articles. The Library Catalog includes print books, eBooks, DVDs, journals, and other formats but NOT articles.
- With Advanced Searching, you can limit results to a specific languge, date range and more.
- To limit to eBooks, use the limits on the right and select "books" and "available online."
- If you can't find a book chapter, you can submit a book chapter request via interlibrary loan. You'll get a PDF scan usually within a week. This is a look quicker than requesting the whole book.
- You can request digital delivery scans of parts of books in UMN Collections. To do so fill out an interlibrary loan/digital delivery request