Example keywords and subtopics
Example keywords or search terms:
- cannibus or marijuana
- medical marijuana
- medical cannibus
- recreational marijuana
- CBD or cannabinoid
- THC or tetrahydrocannabinol
- recreational marijuana
- retail or stores
- marijuana or cannabis or pot or weed or thc or cannabinoids
- edibles or edible cannabis
- drug addiction
- substance abuse
- alternative to opioids
- attitudes or perceptions or opinions or thoughts or feelings or beliefs
- legal or law or legislation or policy or regulation
- police or policing or law enforcement
Tip: This is a big topic with lots written so you can often focus on one or two subtopics. This will help to find more relevant sources, more quickly and be a better fit for an assignment. Here are a few examples of potential areas a research project regarding social media might examine:
health impacts, public health, cultural practices, medical uses, policy changes over time, legalization, growing, use in agriculture, police or criminal justice aspects and more.
Explore additional UMN Libraries research guides
Search article databases
Article databases are a very useful tool because many of them search high-quality, scholarly sources like academic journal articles, or more popular sources such as newspaper or magazine articles. Watch this tutorial to learn more about databases.
A few databases to explore for this topic:
The important thing to remember is that searching on databases is different from searching on google. Instead of typing your question try using your keywords to search topics together.
In this example, we search the database Academic Search Premier for the search on (cannibus OR marijuana) AND (law OR legal OR legislation OR policy OR regulation) AND minnesota to get results. The results are sorted by "relevance" but you can select "data newest" if that is more useful.
Minnesota government and federal sources
Minnesota is the 23rd state in the nation to legalize cannabis use for people 21 and older in July 2023. Learn more about the legislation.
- Minnesota Office Cannabis Management
- Minnesota’s Hemp Program
- Minnesota Issues Resource Guides Cannabis - This guide is compiled by staff at the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library on a topic of interest to state legislators. It introduces the topic and points to sources for further research.
- Adult-Use Cannabis: What Cities Need to Know from the League of Minnesota Cities
Search newspapers and newspaper databases
- Drug Abuse Statistics
- National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics
- Features the most noteworthy drug abuse statistics and data surrounding drug addiction in the United States, including overdose deaths, addiction by drug type, and overall illicit drug use.
- Drug Use
- Our World in Data
- FastStats: Illicit Drug Use
- National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program
- The National Addiction & HIV Data Archive Program acquires, preserves and disseminates data relevant to drug addiction and HIV research. The scope of the data housed at NAHDAP covers a wide range of legal and illicit drugs (alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, synthetic drugs, and others) and the trajectories, patterns, and consequences of drug use as well as related predictors and outcomes.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Data Archive (SAMHDA)
- SAMHDA provides public-use data files, file documentation, and access to restricted-use data files to support a better understanding of this critical area of public health.
- National Survey on Drug Use & Health
- Drinking, smoking, marijuana, cocaine and other illegal drug use statistics.