This guide is designed for new researchers who need to find articles and sources in topics related to Islamic Studies.
- Encyclopaedia of IslamSearch the Encyclopeadia of Islam for authoritative information on Islamic studies, covering Islam and its believers in contexts up through the 20th Century.
- Index IslamicusSearch publications (e.g. journals, books) on Islam and the Muslim world more broadly, spanning Africa, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Search for topics such as history, beliefs, societies, cultures, economics, politics, languages and literature.
- Integrated encyclopedia of the Quran, (IEQ)IEQ draws on a wide range of traditional Muslim sources, including exegeses, Hadith collections and commentaries, classical lexicons, biographical dictionaries, universal histories, works of jurisprudence, Prophetic biographies, and treatises on spiritual and moral psychology, some of which have never before been presented in any encyclopedic work in a Western language.
- Historical AbstractsFind journal articles covering world history from 1450 to the present. Limited to 6 simultaneous users.
- Oxford Bibliographies OnlineUse Oxford Bibliographies to find scholarship across a wide-variety of subjects with entries that read like annotated bibliography and encyclopedia entries. The Libraries subscribes to the following subjects: African Studies, Anthropology, Art History, Atlantic History, Chinese Studies, Communication, Criminology, International Law, Latin American Studies, Music, Renaissance and Reformation, and Sociology.
Then try any of the following:
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerialsThe American Theological Library Association (ATLA) Religion Database lists journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion. Some listings link to full text of articles.
- Islamic Philosophy OnlineThis site contains full-length books and articles on Islamic philosophy, ranging from classical texts to modern works.
- Confidential Print: Middle East, 1839-1969The British Government's Confidential Print documents cover a broad sweep of history from c. 1839 to 1969, taking in the countries of the Arabian peninsula, the Levant, Iraq, Turkey and many of the former Ottoman lands in Europe, Iran, Afghanistan, Egypt and Sudan.
- JSTORFind full text articles in academic journals or books on the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. JSTOR provides articles from the journal's first issue. In some cases the most recent 2-5 years may not be available. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
Also check out:
- Islamic Manuscripts at MichiganThe Islamic manuscripts collection at the University of Michigan Library consists of more than 1,100 volumes dating from the 8th to the early 20th century. The manuscripts cover a variety of subjects including theology, philosophy, mathematics, history, geography, and more. The HathiTrust Digital Library has almost all the manuscripts available online to view and download.
- Encyclopedia of ReligionFind a cross-cultural approach that emphasizes religion's role within everyday life around the world and as a unique experience from culture to culture.
- Religious and Theological AbstractsThis database contains summaries of articles appearing in scholarly journals, covering a wide variety of periodical literature including Christian, Jewish, and other World religions. It provides English language abstracts of articles in English, Hebrew, Afrikaans, and major European languages.
- World Religion Database (WRD)WRD contains detailed statistics on religious affiliation for every country of the world. It provides source material, including censuses and surveys, to give estimates at multiple dates for each of the world's religions for the period 1900 to 2050.
Last Updated: Feb 21, 2023 12:04 PM