Scholarly Sources - Find Journal Articles
General Databases- Covers a little bit on every subject!
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- ScopusSearch for information from scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Covers the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- MasterFile CompleteSearch magazines, with a small number of journals and newspapers, covering a broad range of disciplines and topics. Includes photos and multimedia.
- Google Scholar (Setup connection to get to PDFs)Use Google Scholar to find articles from academic publishers, professional societies, research institutes, and scholarly repositories from colleges and universities. If you are using from off-campus access, change the "Library Settings" to University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Look for the "FindIt@U of M Twin Cities" links in your Google Scholar search results to access full text and PDFs. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
Agriculture and Environment Focused Databases
- Agricultural & Environmental Science DatabaseSearch journals and literature on agriculture, pollution, animals, environment, policy, natural resources, water issues and more. Searches tools like AGRICOLA, ESPM, and EIS databases.
- AGRICOLA Agriculture (Ovid)Search agriculture, animal husbandry, animal and human nutrition, forestry, plant pathology, plant science, human ecology, agricultural economics, and rural sociology. Limited to 8 simultaneous users.
- CAB Abstracts Plus Full Text SelectCAB Abstracts covers agriculture in its broadest sense, including crop production, forestry, environment, animal health and nutrition, veterinary science, agricultural engineering, biotechnology, soil and water, agricultural economics, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, and human nutrition and health.
Possible Databases for Point/Counter-Point Position Speech
- CQ ResearcherCQ Researcher provides in-depth coverage of important issues of the day. Reports are written by experienced journalists, footnoted, and professionally fact-checked. Full-length articles include an overview, historical background, chronology, pro/con feature, plus resources for additional research. Shorter "Hot Topics" articles provide a solid introduction to subjects in demand.
- Opposing Viewpoints in ContextFind articles on current issues, including viewpoint articles, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, magazine and newspaper articles.
Journalistic Sources - Newspaper Databases
- U.S. Newsstream This link opens in a new windowSearch the most recent premium U.S. news content, as well as archives which stretch back into the 1980s featuring newspapers, newswires, blogs, and news sites in active full-text format.
- FactivaSearch millions of newspapers, business magazines, and newswires with international and foreign language coverage with all editions of the Wall Street Journal. Financial information for publicly traded companies, stocks, funds, currencies, and common market indexes. Limited to 7 simultaneous users.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune (1986 to present) This link opens in a new windowFull-text articles from the recent issues of the Star Tribune. Does not include wire stories, ads, photos, or other non-textual article content from the paper. (via ProQuest Newsstream). Note: There is a one-day embargo on content.
- Ethnic NewsWatchEthnic NewsWatch is a current resource of full-text newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority press from 1990, providing researchers access to essential, often overlooked perspectives.
- All SidesUnbiased news does not exist; they claim to provide balanced news and civil discourse. It provides links to a variety of news sources around topics.
Government (Minnesota and Local)
by Government Publications Library Last Updated Jul 1, 2022 58 views this year
- Proquest Congressional This link opens in a new windowThe ProQuest Congressional Research Digital Collection (CRDC) provides full-text access to more than 5,000 Congressional committee prints published from 2004 to present and more than 23,000 Congressional Research Service reports published from 2004-present. Includes citations for bills, public laws, and Statutes at Large, and analytical abstracts of the documents. Also includes links to political parties and organizations and news sources. Coverage 1789-present.
Business Sources (Company reports, trade magazines)
- Business Source Premier EnhancedThis version of Business Source Premier makes it easy to find articles and specialized reports from company profiles and industry reports. This is a good resource for business and economic topics and global studies.
by Desk Business Reference Last Updated Apr 20, 2023 4150 views this year
Company Information Sources
by Desk Business Reference Last Updated Jan 6, 2023 943 views this year
Presentation Practice & Recording
- 1:Button Studios1:Button Studios are fully automated HD video recording spaces with professional studio lighting and sound equipment. They are set up to record high-quality video projects without any knowledge of lights and cameras. There are currently four 1:Button Studio locations on campus (Magrath Library has the one on St. Paul).
- Citation Managers (e.g. Zotero, EndNote Online, etc.)Citation managers are software packages used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to: import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources; save links to pdfs and other documents; format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles; and include your own notes.
- Center for WritingThey take walk-ins, and both in-person and online appointments. Also find online quick help and resources for writers on the writing process, common assignments, grammar, punctuation, style and more. Put the polishing touches on your work.
- Flickr with Creative CommonsUnder Advanced Search, check the box next to Creative Commons-licensed content
- ARTstorARTstor is a cross-disciplinary image database. It offers collections of approximately 300,000 art images and descriptive information covering art, architecture and archeology.
- Digital Image Collections GuideA list of websites that have images based on subject areas. See "Arts" section
Locate Polling Data
- Statistical Insight This link opens in a new windowSearch statistical publications from US and state government agencies, international intergovernmental organizations, professional and trade organizations, business organizations, commercial publishers, independent research organizations, and universities.
- Polling the Nations This link opens in a new windowPolling the Nations is an online database of public opinion polls containing the full text of 700,000+ questions and responses, from 18,000+ surveys and 1,700+ polling organizations, conducted from 1986 through the present in the United States and more than 100 other countries around the world. Limited to 4 simultaneous users.
- American FactFinder2American FactFinder 2 is a search engine that provides access to the population, housing and economic data collected by the Census Bureau. American FactFinder 2 can be used to retrieve data from the 2000 and 2010 Census, American Community Surveys (ACS), Population Estimates and the Economic Census and Surveys.
- SimplyAnalytics This link opens in a new windowCreate custom maps and reports on SimplyAnalytics using extensive data on demographics, consumers, real estate, housing, employment, crime, health, and more. Data includes Nielsen Scarborough local insights and crosstabs, AGS Census, Claritas PRIZM consumer segment, MRI Simmons consumer survey data, consumer expenditures and buying power, as well as public data sources such as the US Census, American Community Survey, FBI uniform crime reports, NOAA climate data, and CDC health data.
Limited to 5 simultaneous users. "Sign in as a guest" if you do not wish to register for a free personal account. A personal account allows you to save your work.
- Nielsen Media RatingsNielsen is a major provider of audience and market data. The Libraries do not subscribe to any of their products, however information about Top 10 TV Ratings is available online at no charge. You may also find articles in EBSCO Megafile that references Nielsen Media Reports.
- Media Intelligence CenterService from the Alliance for Audited Media that tracks circulation, data for newspapers, consumer magazines, business publications and farm publications from the US, Canada, and other countries. Includes audit circulation statistics for online editions.
- Simmons InsightsSurvey data from the the Simmons National Consumer Survey to find target markets and consumer profiles for brands and products. Use Simmons advertising campaigns, market research, and business plans. Limited to 25 simultaneous users. NOTE: Please click logout when done to end session.
- Norman BorlaugNorman Ernest Borlaug is the University of Minnesota's most honored and celebrated alumnus. Learn about his work to end wheat rust and feed the world (books, articles, videos, and more).
What is a citation manager?
A citation manager is a software tool used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to:
- import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources,
- export your citations into Word documents or other types of publications,
- format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles, and
- include your own notes.
Choosing a citation manager
|Zotero||Mendeley||EndNote 20||EndNote Online|
|Styles||Many citation styles||Many citation styles||Many citation styles||Fewer citation styles|
|Plug-ins||Microsoft Word||Microsoft Word||Microsoft Word||Microsoft Word|
|Storage||300MB free||2GB free||Unlimited||2GB free|
|Editor integration||Word, Google Docs||Word||Word||Word|
|Support||Zotero support||Mendeley support||EndNote 20 support||EndNote Online support|
Creating annotated bibliographies
An annotated bibliography, in addition to all of the citation information for a source, also includes descriptive and critical information about the source. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance and quality of the sources.
Last Updated: Feb 23, 2023 11:05 AM