Slides from class presentation 2/3/21
Find Background Information on Current Issues
Find Scholarly Journal Articles
Find Newspaper Articles
Getting Full Text
When using Library resources, the FindIt link is your connection to accessing the full text of articles if a PDF link is not already visible.
This short video will show you how to get to the articles you need for your research paper or other University of Minnesota assignments. Never pay for articles! If we don't have it online, request it and we will get it for you.
Tutorial: Getting the most out of Google Scholar
- Identify the differences between Google and Google Scholar
- Understand how to access University of Minnesota Libraries-licensed materials through Google Scholar’s “Library Links”
- Search more effectively using Google Scholar’s advanced features and settings
What is a citation manager?
A citation manager is a software tool used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to:
- import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources,
- export your citations into Word documents or other types of publications,
- format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles, and
- include your own notes.
Choosing a citation manager
Checking out books and other items
Get help from the U Libraries - Online!
Off-campus access to library resources
Current University students, staff and faculty should be able to get full text and online access to the University Libraries from anywhere. Here are three ways to access the library full text from off campus.
- Search the University of Minnesota library website. Log in with you UMN Internet ID and password to access resources.
- Log in using the U of M Virtual Private Network (VPN). You will need to download it to your computer from campus OIT (Office of Information Technology).
- Install the Libraries' Proxy Bookmarklet to your browser and click it to reload the page with your U of M login to get access to full text. Watch a proxy bookmarklet video (3 min) to learn more.
View examples and learn more on our How to get to full text from on and off campus Guide.