Resources for ESCI 4104
UMN Library Databases
Look up your topic in these databases. You'll find books, articles, and reports that match your search terms. Use these instead of random Googling.
- GeoRefSearch tool for scholarly research about the geosciences. Includes journal articles, books, conference proceedings, government publications, theses, reports, and maps.
- Web of ScienceA comprehensive interdisciplinary collection of journal article citations. Subjects generally covered are within science and technology, arts and humanities, and social sciences. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Google Scholar (Setup connection to get to PDFs)Use Google Scholar to find articles from academic publishers, professional societies, research institutes, and scholarly repositories from colleges and universities. If you are using from off-campus access, change the "Library Settings" to University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Look for the "FindIt@U of M Twin Cities" links in your Google Scholar search results to access full text and PDFs. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
You can also look up your topic in these major journals...
- Nature Very Important interdisciplinary journal.
- Science Another Very Important interdisciplinary journal.
- Geophysical Research Letters Important journal that covers most geoscience disciplines. From the American Geophysical Union.
- You can also search Web of Science or Scopus for a topic and filter results for review articles.
How to read and understand scientific articles
Look Up Articles, Pay $0.00
You found an article but it says you have to pay for it. Do this instead:
- University of Minnesota Libraries Home PageFind books, scores, recordings, magazines, journals, movies, and more in the University of Minnesota Libraries catalog.
If it doesn't show up, THAT'S OK. Interlibrary Loan will get the paper for you. Click the link below, choose the article form, and fill out all the article information. They'll email you the PDF! For FREE!!!
- InterLibrary Loan & Digital DeliveryInterlibrary Loan (ILL) & Digital Delivery offers access to materials needed for courses and research, including materials not currently available within the University of Minnesota Libraries, AND digital copies of articles and book chapters from our print and microform collections. Free for currently-affiliated University students, faculty, and staff.
Last Updated: Feb 21, 2023 11:53 AM