Interested in working in a specific industry? Use these sources to get detailed information into major companies that make up a specific industry and the environmental influences that impact their strategy and decision-making.
- IBIS World (Business)Search industry reports for the United States, Canada, China, and global topics. Each report provides an overall current picture of an industry, including overviews, leading companies, sales information, and authoritative sources for researching hundreds of industries. Includes Business Environmental Profiles that summarize key drivers for industries in the U.S.
- Statista This link opens in a new windowStatista provides statistical data on many topics including media, business, politics, society, technology and education. Sources include market reports, trade publications, scientific journals, and government databases. Data can be accessed by searching or browsing by industry, topic, country, digital market or infographic. The Global Consumer Survey offers a global perspective on consumption and media usage, covering the offline and online world of the consumer. It is designed to help marketers, planners and product managers understand consumer behavior and consumer interactions with brands.
Company / Organization Profiles
Use profiles sources to locate brief information about various aspects of a known organization - find out whether a company is public or private, locate financial data from a 990 for a nonprofit, gain insight into strategy and leadership, Many of these resources also provide current news.
- Mergent Intellect (Business)Mergent Intellect provides access to private and public U.S. and international business data, industry news, facts and figures, executive contact information, the ability to access industry profiles and much more. It also provides access to contact information for over 250 million U.S. consumers using WhitePages Pro data.
- HooversIncludes information on more than 162 million businesses, both public and private, around the world. Business data includes Annual Revenues, Employee Counts, Corporate Family Tree, Key Contacts, Analyst Reports, SWOT reports, stock data, financials and other vital information. Important note: downloading company lists is not available on the academic subscription.
- PrivCoDatabase of financial data on major privately-held companies. Includes private financials and revenues; private M&A deals and deal multiples, private firm valuations, VC funding, private equity deal history; and private and family ownership data.
This resource requires creation of a personal account using U of MN e-mail address.
- Orbis (Company Research)Orbis delivers information on over 170 million public and private companies across the globe. The information includes: financial strength metrics and projected financials, associated news and independent research, extensive corporate ownership structures and beneficial ownership, original filed documents, individuals associated with companies, global M&A deals and rumors.
Nonprofit Organizations & Government Agencies
- GuideStar: The National Database of Nonprofit OrganizationsInformation on nonprofit organizations in the United States that register with the Internal Revenue Service. Includes financial information, mission, programs, board of directories and historical 990 tax returns filed with the IRS with more detail about expenditures and revenue. Search for nonprofits by location, size, and types of services.
- Leadership Connect (formerly: Leadership Library)Leadership Connect (formerly Leadership Library) allows screening for people, companies, and organizations by type, industry, job function, geographic location, size, or keyword. Ideal for searching NGOs, government agencies, board memberships, and not-for-profit organizations.
Searching for news on companies or organizations is a great way to learn more about current activities and strategy, giving you information you can use to prepare for an interview.
- Business Source PremierFind business articles from journals and magazines in marketing, management, information technology, operations, human resources, accounting, finance and economics dating back to 1965.
- American City Business Journals (BizJournals)Find articles from the Minneapolis St. Paul Business on local companies and other organizations. Students, faculty and staff have full access to Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, including Digital content across 18 different Industries, access to the Weekly Edition, Book of Lists, the Search Archives. Register for an account with a valid @umn.edu e-mail address using the link above. NOTE: Full text access only includes Minneapolis/St Paul market.
- Regional Business NewsRegional Business News offers full text coverage for regional business publications; Regional Business News incorporates coverage of 75 business journals, newspapers and newswires from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States. This database is updated daily.
- International Newsstream This link opens in a new windowInternational news from newspapers, newswires, transcripts, and digital-only news sites in full-text format. Over 800 of the world's top news sources.
- Wall Street Journal (WSJ.COM) This link opens in a new windowGet WSJ.com subscription through the library. Sign up for a personal account at the link above. Access to the articles, photographs, charts, podcasts, videos and other premium content available on the WSJ.COM website back to the 2010. Mobile app access is included in the subscription.
Specialized industry-specific news sources:
- Environment & Energy PublishingProvides news and analysis of developments in environmental, energy, and natural resources policy.
- Pink Sheets - Prescription Pharmaceuticals and BiotechnologyPink Sheet provides policy and regulatory insights advantage for biopharma decision-makers around the globe.
Salary & Compensation Sources
Use these sources to learn more about salary & compensation for your industry or profession.
DEED & CareerForce MN: List of the top 30 jobs in demand in MN includes job descriptions, wage info and current job openings by geographic area.
Bureau of Labor Statistics National Compensation Survey: bls.gov/ncs
UMN Collegiate Graduate Survey Salary Data: your Career Center has yours
Market Value of Position:
UMN Career Center Gold Pass Resources
Be sure to check out the fabulous resources available to you through Gold Pass
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION LAUNCHES THE MAROON AND GOLD NETWORK
A free, online resource for accelerating career development. University of Minnesota alumni are innovative, creative and ambitious. They’re also interested in sharing their talent and expertise with fellow alumni and students to help them advance their careers. To meet that need, the Alumni Association has launched the Maroon and Gold Network.
Use InterviewStream to get practice interviewing. Choose questions or question sets and respond via webcam. InterviewStream video captures can be viewed by you and / or shared with a career counselor for feedback. For access to this free service, log in to GoldPASS, click on the “Career Center” drop-down menu, and then select the “Resources” option. Choose "InterviewStream" on the page that follows, then click on the “umn.interviewstream.com” link on the page after that.
View informational interviews from University of Minnesota alumni and other professionals, and hundreds of other videos on job-search related topics. www.candidcareer.com/UMNTwinCities
US City Guides provide career and employment information for cities throughout the US. Learn about job and internship search resources, employment trends, resume guidelines, interview tips and cultural advice.
Country Guides provide career and employment information for 120-plus locations worldwide. Learn about job search resources, employment trends, and work permits and visa needs in countries throughout the world.
GoinGlobal also hosts a H1B Visas database which provides application records from 2009 to date for American employers interested in hiring international talent.
Additional Career Development Sources
- Occupational Outlook HandbookOverviews of occupation and industries compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Covers work environment, salaries, job outlook, similar occupation, and professional associations.
- 1:Button Studios1:Button Studios are fully automated HD video recording spaces with professional studio lighting and sound equipment. They are set up to record high-quality video projects without any knowledge of lights and cameras. There are currently four 1:Button Studio locations on campus (Magrath Library has the one on St. Paul).
Bloomberg Market Concepts Certification on the Bloomberg Professional terminal.
Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC) is a self-paced e-learning course that provides an interactive introduction to the financial markets. BMC consists of 3 sections — Core Concepts (includes four modules – Economic Indicators, Currencies, Fixed Income, Equities), Getting Started on the Terminal and Portfolio Management. Review. Using Bloomberg Professional in Wilson Library for detailed information on using Bloomberg Professional.