A guide to the most appropriate library databases and tools for this course.
- Fish, Fisheries & Aquatic Biodiversity WorldwideA working biologist's index to all aspects of ichthyology, fisheries and aquaculture, including fish management, natural history, and fish health, plus environmental, habitat, and commercial information. Indexes about 1200 journals, plus books, government documents and "grey literature". Coverage dating back to the 1970's.
- Wildlife and Ecology Studies WorldwideSearch articles on mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and birds; includes studies on all aspects of their life cycles and behaviors, including hunting and management research.
- CAB Abstracts Plus Full Text SelectCAB Abstracts covers agriculture in its broadest sense, including crop production, forestry, environment, animal health and nutrition, veterinary science, agricultural engineering, biotechnology, soil and water, agricultural economics, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, and human nutrition and health.
- ScopusSearch for information from scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Covers the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- Science Citation Index Expanded (Web of Science)Covers the most of the sciences, including veterinary medicine and zoology. Also includes a list of references cited in the source article, and can retrieve a list of works that have cited a specific author or a specific earlier work. Impact factors for many journals are also available. Coverage 1900-date
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Agricultural & Environmental Science DatabaseSearch journals and literature on agriculture, pollution, animals, environment, policy, natural resources, water issues and more. Searches tools like AGRICOLA, ESPM, and EIS databases.
- Zoological Record (Web of Science)Search articles covering all animal taxa from protozoa to the primates, and all aspects of their life cycles, behaviors, taxonomy, ecology and evolution. There are taxonomic summaries of each animal discussed in an article, geographical headings and additional subject approaches.
Then try any of the following:
- AGRICOLA Agriculture (Ovid)Search agriculture, animal husbandry, animal and human nutrition, forestry, plant pathology, plant science, human ecology, agricultural economics, and rural sociology. Limited to 8 simultaneous users.
Zotero is a free, open-source citation manager that:
- imports and organizes citations and PDFs;
- recognizes and creates citations for wide range of file types;
- formats citations in thousands of styles including APA and Chicago;
- easily adds in-text citations to Word and Google Doc documents, and creates a bibliography from those citations;
- allows you to add notes to your citation information for later use.
Natural Resources Library
- 375 Hodson Hall, St. Paul Campus (612-624-9288)
Find collections in forestry, zoology, aquaculture, conservation biology, bees and beekeeping, endangered animals, entomology, fisheries, herpetology, ichthyology, mammalogy, non-human primatology, ornithology, animal taxonomy, and wildlife management.
Last Updated: Feb 22, 2023 11:15 PM