This guide covers graduate studies in the field of Social Work.
- APA PsycInfoProvides excellent coverage of the literature on behavioral and mental health. Make sure to utilize the official subject headings for best results. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results. And always feel free to reach out to me for additional assistance.
- Google Scholar (Setup connection to get to PDFs)Use Google Scholar to find articles from academic publishers, professional societies, research institutes, and scholarly repositories from colleges and universities. If you are using from off-campus access, change the "Library Settings" to University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Look for the "FindIt@U of M Twin Cities" links in your Google Scholar search results to access full text and PDFs. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Academic Search PremierThis multidisciplinary database covers most of the core social work journals, as well as related disciplines. Click
above the search box to add additional EBSCO databases to your search - particularly those covering specific populations, Education, or Nursing and Allied Health (CINAHL)
Then try any of the following:
- Ovid MEDLINESearches MEDLINE, which is the primary source of journal articles for the health sciences (fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, public health, health care systems, and basic sciences). Ovid MEDLINE is optimized for advanced literature searches. Coverage is from the 1940s to the present.
- ScopusSearch for information from scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Covers the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- Social Services AbstractsCSA Social Services Abstracts provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development. The database abstracts and indexes over 1,600 serials publications and includes abstracts of journal articles and dissertations, and citations to book reviews from 1979 to the present.
Browse Social Work journals
- Social Work Journals (Browse)BrowZine pulls together social work journals to which we subscribe, providing an experience more like browsing a print collection
Also check out:
- Encyclopedia of Social WorkThis multi-media reference work features accessible, clearly articulated articles on a range of topics encountered in social work study. Looking for a social work definition or explanation quickly? ESW overview articles is a great place to start.
- Sage Research MethodsSAGE Research Methods is a tool designed to help scholars of all levels create research projects in their specific discipline and understand the methods behind them.
- CINAHL (Nursing & Allied Health)Covers nursing and allied health journal articles, book chapters, and dissertations, as well as providing summarized evidence-based resources such as care sheets and quick lessons.
- Cochrane LibraryThe Cochrane Library consists of a collection of regularly updated evidence-based health care databases. The Cochrane collection is designed to provide information and evidence to support health care decision-making.
- Campbell Collaboration C2The Campbell Collaboration Library is a full text database of systematic reviews covering social interventions, including social work, education, criminology, and international development.
- Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI)Find surveys, tests, observation checklists, and questionnaires used to assess health and behavior of infants, children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly. Topics covered include public health, communication, psychology, management, nursing, organizational behavior, medicine, sociology, physical education, psychiatry, human resources, gerontology and dental medicine. Includes information about the test such as title, author, publication resource, reliability and validity. Note: One users can access at a time.
- CQ Press Library This link opens in a new windowIn the CQ Press Library, search or browse resources on American government, current affairs, history, politics, public policy, and data analysis for the social sciences.
- California Evidence-Based Clearing House for Child WelfareList programs in Child Welfare, including evidence base.
- Documenting SourcesGive credit to those whose work you use in your own writing and help others find your sources. Find information on citing sources using major styles and avoiding plagiarism.
- Tutorial: What are citations?Understand what citations are, why they are important, and how to create and use them.
- Citation Guides and Style ManualsA guide to different citation styles.
- Citation Managers (e.g. Zotero, EndNote Online, etc.)Citation managers are software packages used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to: import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources; save links to pdfs and other documents; format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles; and include your own notes.
Last Updated: Dec 21, 2022 11:44 AM