General directories cover both public and private companies, government agencies, and nonprofits. Directory information is brief but will include information about corporate families and ownership.
- Reference Solutions (formerly ReferenceUSA)Directory information on U.S. and Canadian business, health care, and residential listings. Search by company name, geographic area, business type, SIC code, yellow page listing, revenue, location, number of employees or any combination of the above. In addition to address and phone number, each entry includes officer names and titles, corporate affiliation, business type and size of yellow page advertising. Toll free and fax numbers are given for some companies.
- Mergent Intellect (Business)Mergent Intellect provides access to private and public U.S. and international business data, industry news, facts and figures, executive contact information, the ability to access industry profiles and much more. It also provides access to contact information for over 250 million U.S. consumers using WhitePages Pro data.
- Leadership Connect (formerly: Leadership Library)Includes the Corporate Yellow Book and the Financial Yellow Book.
- Register of Corporations, Directors, and ExecutivesPart of the NetAdvantage from S&P Global. Choose the Companies tab. Directories listings for over 50,000 private and public companies limited to those with more than $1 million in sales or over 100 employees. Advanced criteria available for private company searching. Each entry lists sales, products, directory info, officers, and bank information.
Subscription cancelled effective November 27, 2018.
- Orbis (Company Research)Orbis delivers information on over 170 million public and private companies across the globe. The information includes: financial strength metrics and projected financials, associated news and independent research, extensive corporate ownership structures and beneficial ownership, original filed documents, individuals associated with companies, global M&A deals and rumors.
Profiles are generally for large public companies and give more in-depth analysis and history.
- HooversIncludes information on more than 162 million businesses, both public and private, around the world. Business data includes Annual Revenues, Employee Counts, Corporate Family Tree, Key Contacts, Analyst Reports, SWOT reports, stock data, financials and other vital information. Important note: downloading company lists is not available on the academic subscription.
- MarketLine Reports (Business)Industry reports and company profiles cover key facts, history, employees, major products, revenue analysis, SWOT analysis, top competitors, locations and subsidiaries. Industry Reports include analysis, market size, market share, forecasts, segmentation, and leading companies. Access via Business Source Premier.
- PrivCoDatabase of financial data on major privately-held companies. Includes private financials and revenues; private M&A deals and deal multiples, private firm valuations, VC funding, private equity deal history; and private and family ownership data.
- GuideStar: The National Database of Nonprofit OrganizationsInformation on nonprofit organizations in the United States that register with the Internal Revenue Service. Includes financial information, mission, programs, board of directories and historical 990 tax returns filed with the IRS with more detail about expenditures and revenue. Search for nonprofits by location, size, and types of services.
- Foundation Directory OnlineFind grant makers, companies, grants or IRS 990 tax returns for U.S. organizations. Profiles of grant makers mission, analysis of expenses and revenue and other information. The Foundation Directory includes the publication Philanthropy News, current RFPs for grants, and literature on nonprofits from various research institutes.
- Leadership Connect (formerly: Leadership Library)Detailed information about people and organizational strucures for major corporations, nonprofits, news organizations, associations, law firm, courts and local, state, and federal government. Licensed for 1 user at a time.
Other Specialized Directories
- Advertising RedbooksInformation about advertisers, agencies, public relations firms and media buying services. Search for agencies and advertisers by industry, specialization, location, and sales. Find advertising expenditures by media, video campaigns, and social media activity.
Licensed for 2 simultaneous users
See the Logon Instructions
- Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal and Book of ListsThis monthly magazine on companies, people, and business in the Twin Cities is available as a digital edition in the American City Business Journal database. It includes the annual Book of Lists with over 100 rankings of organizations and companies in manufacturing, services, real estate, banking and finance, health, construction, education, media, technology, hospitality and entertainment. Special lists are also compiled for minority businesses, best employers, and other categories.
Access is limited to 10 simultaneous users. If you are on the Twin Cities campus, go to https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/portal/uofminnesotaMN. If you are affiliated with the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and would like to access this resource off campus, click on the following link to go through the authentication process: http://www.lib.umn.edu/ejournals/restricted/16519
- Uniworld OnlineA directory of American firms that operate in foreign countries and foreign firms that operate in the United States. Information on multinational firms operating around the world. Includes U.S. companies with a substantial investment in overseas operations that are wholly or partially owned affiliates or branches, and foreign firms with a substantial investment within the United States.
- Thomas NetThis is a large online industrial product directory. Use it to find information on companies that manufacture products.
Last Updated: Dec 9, 2022 11:33 AM