Welcome and Introduction
The University Libraries have a wide variety of collections and services to support graduate students in your coursework and research at the University. Let's face it--there is a mountain of information out there and we can give advice and support every step of the way.
University of Minnesota Libraries website: https://www.lib.umn.edu/
On the Twin Cities campus, we have 5 main library locations and 7 branch locations.
Check out our video below.
First steps to do
- Get to know your subject librarian. These are the subject experts who can provide in-depth research assistance, answer your questions about library services and resources, as well as take purchase requests for resources into consideration. They're available via email, phone, virtually, or in person. Fill out this consultation request form to set up a meeting.
- Discover your research guide(s). These are librarian-curated lists of databases and other resources especially relevant for your subject or discipline.
- Learn the different ways you can access library resources off-campus.
- Take a look at your My Library Account which shows your checked-out and requested items. You can also renew items here. Your My ILL Account shows items you've borrowed or requested from other libraries and requests for copies of articles and book chapters from UMN collections.
- If you use Google Scholar, link Google Scholar to the UMN Libraries so you can get to full text easily.
- Learn about Citation & Information Management tools like Zotero or EndNote to organize your PDFs, create in-text citations and easily create a bibliography.
- Check out the Checklist for New Graduate Students and the library services and resources for graduate students in this guide.
The Libraries can save you money!
Don't pay for articles. If an article is not immediately availalble from the Libraries, request it from Interlibrary Loan. It's free to you.
Request that the Libraries purchase books and other items for your research or teaching needs. We'll evaluate your requests and purchase what we can. Contact your subject librarian/department liaison to discuss.
Getting your questions answered
We are all eager to answer your questions and get you the resources and information you need to succeed. Here are ways you can connect to library staff:
Subject librarians and department liaisons can provide research assistance to graduate students as well as answer questions about library services and resources. Some specific ways we can help:
- Help with research questions via email, phone, virtually, or in person. To set up a research consultation, contact your librarian directly or fill out this consultation request form.
- Develop subject-specific research guides
- Purchase books, journals, databases, etc. for your research or teaching needs. Contact your librarian or fill out this purchase request form (UMN login required).
- Work with instructors and TAs to teach and support face-to-face and online classes and workshops
- Create tailor-made research guides to assist your students completing their assignments.
- Answer questions related to library services and resources.
Chat 24/7 Online with the Libraries. Ask us anything! Chat with a librarian, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with any research or library questions.
Email us using this contact form.
Call us at 612-624-3321.