This guide is intended to help PM&R residents at the University of Minnesota access key resources, including e-books and clinical decision-making support tools.
by Cody Hennesy Last Updated Apr 5, 2023 137 views this year
- PubMedSearches MEDLINE, which is the primary source of journal articles for the health sciences (fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, public health, health care systems, and basic sciences). Coverage is from the 1940s to the present. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Ovid MEDLINESearches MEDLINE, which is the primary source of journal articles for the health sciences (fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, public health, health care systems, and basic sciences). Ovid MEDLINE is optimized for advanced literature searches. Coverage is from the 1940s to the present.
- Embase / Embase ClassicEmbase is a biomedical and pharmacological database covering journal articles, conference proceedings, and gray literature. It is strong in its coverage of pharmaceutical research and international and non-English content. Covers 1947 to present.
- SPORT DiscusThe world's most comprehensive bibliographic resources for all aspects of sport and fitness. Includes websites, conference papers, journal articles, unpublished papers and theses. It also includes Full-text access to over 350 journals. Limited to 8 simultaneous users.
- PM&R Books in ClinicalKeyClinicalKey includes clinically-relevant books, journals, videos, images, and topic pages. Within the database are key texts related to physical medicine and rehabilitation, including Braddom's Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Easy EMG, Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disorders, and Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Books can be viewed in HTML or saved in PDF format when logged into a free personal account. CME available.
Finding drug information
- MICROMEDEXProvides access to drug information resources, including drug identification, packaging information, interaction and contraindication information, drug prices, international formulations, occupational safety sheets, safety in pregnancy, and more.
Evidence-Based-Practice and Point-of-Care Resources
- DynaMedAn evidence-based clinical decision support tool. Contains over 3,000 topic summaries covering diseases, disorders, diagnostics, and drugs with extensive references to journals and practice guidelines.
- Cochrane RehabilitationCochrane Rehabilitation serves as a bridge between Cochrane and the Rehabilitation specialty. It aims to improve evidence related to rehabilitation, including by gathering Cochrane published reviews and protocols relevant to rehabilitation.
- Natural MedicinesNatural Medicines provides evidence-based information and ratings on over 90,000 dietary supplements, natural medicines, and integrative therapies. Includes these databases: Foods, Herbs, & Supplements; Health & Wellness; Sports Medicine; Comparative Effectiveness; Manufacturers; Commercial Products; and Medical Conditions.
- VisualDxTool to build and visualize a differential diagnosis based on physical signs and symptoms, lab results, history, environmental exposure, and more. Contains a large medical image library, with special emphasis on dermatology for skin of color.
Citation style guides
- AMA Citation Style GuideThis guide from the Texas A&M University Libraries gives formats and examples for common AMA citation types.
- APA formatting and examples (From Purdue OWL)Examples of the APA citation style.
- Vancouver Citation Style GuideThis guide from the Monash University Library gives formats and examples for common resource types in Vancouver and other styles.
- Citation Managers (e.g. Zotero, EndNote Online, etc.)Citation managers are software packages used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to: import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources; save links to pdfs and other documents; format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles; and include your own notes.
Tips by resource type
- Copyright Information ServicesCopyright information services works with people to address copyright information needs around the University of Minnesota and beyond through information on this site, consultation, training, and other in-depth services.
- Creative CommonsCreative Commons licenses let people share their work with the world, and set some rules about that sharing. This page explains how the licenses work, and why someone might want to use them.
- PubMed: Find articles on a topic (1 min)A brief tutorial on how to find articles on a topic using PubMed.
- PubMed: Find the latest treatments for a disease or disorder (2 min)A brief tutorial on how to find the latest treatments for a disease or disorder using PubMed.
- PubMed: Save searches and set e-mail alerts (2 min)A brief tutorial on how to get alerts for articles on a topic using PubMed.
- PubMed: Find articles by journal (2 min)A brief tutorial on how to find articles from a journal using PubMed.
- PubMed subject search: How it works (4 min)A brief tutorial on how automatic term mapping and explosion enhance your PubMed search.
Also check out:
- Evidence-Based Medicine BasicsFind resources and tools to help build skills in applying Evidence-Based Practice.
Last Updated: Jan 13, 2023 1:41 PM