About this Guide
A guide to improve access to information and increase understanding of the conflict in Ukraine starting in 2014 as well as the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Links to books, article databases, and other resources are provided for more in-depth research. Note: access for many of these resources is limited to current UMN faculty, students, and staff. See this page for resources accessible by the general public (non-UMN affiiates).
Source: Nations Online Project
Scholarly websites and webcasts
- "Russia's War on Ukraine" from Harvard University's Ukrainian Research Institute
- Posts from scholars at the University College London's Dept. of Political Science's about the 2022 war
- "Panel Discussion - Crisis in Ukraine," from Indiana University's Russian and East European Institute
- "Princeton experts discuss the Russian invasion of Ukraine," from Princeton University
News Sources for Keeping Up-to-date
- "Crisis in Ukraine" from EuroNews
- EuroTopics -- Provides information on around 600 print and online media published in 32 countries.
- BBC News on Europe -- includes coverage on Ukraine
- Russia’s war in Ukraine: complete guide in maps, video and pictures (The Guardian (UK)) -- ongoing coverage since late February 2022.
- Kyiv Post : Ukraine's oldest English-language newspaper since 1995.
- Kyiv Independent: an English-language Ukrainian news site that contains a newsfeed of events as they unfold.
- Euromaidan Press: an online English-language independent newspaper, it focuses on events concerning Ukraine and provides translations of Ukrainian news, expert analyses, and independent research.
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
- Moscow Times (Web version) -- independent news in English from Russia
Click "view online," "PDF," or the button to connect to the full text if we have it. The will also indicate whether a print copy is held in the Libraries. If not available, request the item via Interlibrary Loan.
Not sure what search terms to use? See this list of possible terms
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- ABSEEES Online (American Bibliography of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies)Search for journal articles and book reviews on East-Central Europe, Russia, Soviet Union and the former Soviet republics, with a vast collection of indexed sources published in the United States, Canada and some European countries.
- Historical AbstractsFind journal articles covering world history from 1450 to the present. Limited to 6 simultaneous users.
- Worldwide Political Science AbstractsThe database provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international serials literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration & public policy from1975 to the present.
DATABASES COVERING THE UKRAINE CONFLICT WITH REGARDS TO POLICY & FINANCE
- EMIS ProfessionalFind company and industry information, reports, statistics, proprietary mergers and acquisitions, credit analytics, benchmark indicators and trend comparisons to help understand emerging markets.
- FitchConnect (formerly BMI Research)Detailed reports on global industrial and municipal markets, companies and nonprofits, emphasizing emerging markets. Include extensive country risk and credit ratings, macroeconomic and financial analysis, and ESG scores. Find intra-daily alerts on economic, industrial, and political developments, business deals, multinational joint ventures, and regulatory changes.
- OECD iLibrary This link opens in a new windowOECD iLibrary is the online publications portal of the 36-country Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (http://www.oecd.org/about/membersandpartners/list-oecd-member-countries.htm). OECD iLibrary is OECD's Online Library for Books, Papers and Statistics and the gateway to OECD's analysis and data. It replaces SourceOECD, and hosts all content so users can find - and cite - tables and databases as easily as articles or chapters.
Coverage: OECD Books, Papers and Statistics, International Energy Agency (IEA) Statistical Databases, & International Trade by Commodity Statistics
- PAIS Index (Political Science and Public Policy)PAIS (Public Affairs Information Service) searches journals and other sources on issues of political science and public policy. This includes government, politics, international relations, human rights and more.
- Policy Commons and North American City ReportsSearch millions of documents on thousands of topics from the world’s leading policy experts, nonpartisan think tanks, IGOs and NGOs as well as from North American cities. Featured topics include Black Lives Matter, COVID-19, Climate Change, Gender Equity, and reports from the 500 largest cities in North America.
- S&P Capital IQ PRO (with access to ESG and Panjiva Supply Chain)S&P Capital IQ PRO (formerly known as S&P Market Intelligence and SNL) is a platform that integrates real time and historical financial and industry data, research and news. Analyze thousands of global public and private companies, their ownership structure, and related transaction data. PRO provides access to a wide range of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) data and analytics and trade and supply chain data with Panjiva. See "More Info" for detailed account creation instructions first time users.
Guest users not affiliated with the University, please contact email@example.com ahead of your visit to arrange for login access.