This guide is designed for new researchers to find articles, sources and get started with research in topics related to architecture, design and aesthetics of the built environment, building technologies, and historic preservation.
- Avery Index to Architectural PeriodicalsRecognized as one of the world's leading databases of the architectural literature, this indexes more than 1,000 western language periodicals published worldwide on architecture, archaeology, decorative arts, environmental studies, furniture, historic preservation, landscape architecture, urban planning/city planning, interior design, and historic preservation.
- HathiTrust Digital Library This link opens in a new windowHathiTrust provides access to millions of books and other materials. Full text searching of most books is available and books in the public domain (generally older books) can be freely viewed and/or downloaded. Books still in copyright have more limited access. Users with print-reading disabilities can apply for special access to digitized works by emailing email@example.com.
- ProQuest Art Design and Architecture CollectionA comprehensive survey of current publications in the fields of visual and applied arts. This collection includes the specialist indexes ARTbibliographies Modern (covering modern and contemporary art), Design and Applied Arts Index (for all aspects of design and crafts) and the International Bibliography of Art (covering scholarship on Western art history), together with a complementary collection of current full-text journals, Arts and Humanities Full Text.
- WorldCatFind books, journals, articles, maps, music scores, sound recordings, films, theses/dissertations, machine-readable data files, and any other materials available in libraries worldwide. All subject areas are covered. Request items through Interlibrary Loan using the ILLiad link on each item's record. A mobile version of this database is available. Limited to 65 simultaneous users.
- World Digital LibraryCreated by UNESCO and the Library of Congress, the World Digital Library provides free online access to world cultural treasures. Includes manuscripts, maps, rare books, musical scores, recordings, films, prints, photographs, and architectural drawings from a variety of countries.
Then try any of the following:
- Art Full TextSearch for articles in fine, decorative and commercial art, as well as photography, film and architecture. Limited to 20 simultaneous users.
- BuildingGreen SuiteFind an array of media and information resources, including full-text access to Environmental Building News, online tools, GreenSpec directory of products, the LEED user web tool, and the High Performance Buildings Database (HPB) containing case studies of projects ranging from homes and commercial interiors to large buildings and even whole campuses and neighborhoods.
- Compendex ArchiveNOTE: Select 'Ei Backfile' to search the content in the 'Compendex Archive'
Covers scholarly and technical periodicals, conference proceedings, and report literature from 1884-1968 in all engineering disciplines including applied physics, electronics, materials science, and related fields in science and management. Indexes nearly 3000 sources worldwide.
- Engineering VillageSearch journal articles from 1884-1968 on engineering. Searches both Inspec (1898-1968) and Compendex (1884-1968) Archives for articles and conference papers related to engineering, computer science, and physics.
- JSTORFind full text articles in academic journals or books on the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. JSTOR provides articles from the journal's first issue. In some cases the most recent 2-5 years may not be available. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Web of ScienceA comprehensive interdisciplinary collection of journal article citations. Subjects generally covered are within science and technology, arts and humanities, and social sciences. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- HUD UserDept. of Housing and Urban Development has research reports and data sets.
Also check out:
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus®Search this resource to find ideas for architecture terms and definitions.
- ArchDailyProvides online resources like interesting architecture projects, news, and building products. Intended to inspire, inform, and provide tools for architects.
- SAH ArchipediaA carefully selected subset from an encyclopedia of US architecture, containing peer-reviewed essays, photos, and maps for more than 4600 structures in 1802 cities and all 50 states
- ARTstorARTstor is a cross-disciplinary image database. It offers collections of approximately 300,000 art images and descriptive information covering art, architecture and archeology.
- Oxford Art OnlineThe most comprehensive online resource for all visual arts worldwide from prehistory to the present day. Provides access to Grove Art Online, Benezit Dictionary of Artists, The Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, and The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. Access is limited to 8 simultaneous users.
- The Gilded AgeThis resource sheds light on this transformative period in American history, through the records of some of its most famous luminaries of industry, culture and politics. A richly varied range of archival sources charts the contradictions of the age. The resource includes the personal and business papers of key industrialists; records of rail, steel and oil corporations; material on labour disputes, politics and progressivism; and rich visual content on fashion, material culture and architecture.
- Architecture and Landscape Architecture LibraryThe Architecture and Landscape Architecture Library is located on the East Bank on the second level, 210 Rapson Hall.
Browse these call numbers to find relevant books:
- Architecture - NA
- Building and construction - TH
- City planning - HT
- Interior architecture and design - NK
- U.S. history, historic preservation - E/F
- Vernacular architecture - GN
- Northwest Architectural ArchivesThe Northwest Architectural Archives is the repository for the records of architects, engineers, contractors, landscape architects, interior designers, and local professional societies from the Midwest region.
- Citation Managers (e.g. Zotero, EndNote Online, etc.)Citation managers are software packages used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to: import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources; save links to pdfs and other documents; format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles; and include your own notes.
Last Updated: Apr 21, 2023 12:55 PM