A guide to assist UMN students, faculty, and staff to find resources related to Ukrainian history, culture, literature, and other related subjects.
Streaming Documentaries and Films
Select list of streaming documentaries covering Ukraine's recent history.
- Ukraine of Fire (2016)Ukraine's 2014 Maidan Massacre helped oust President Yanukovych with Russia painted as the perpetrator. Oliver Stone interviews Russian President Vladimir Putin, Yanukovych, and others exposing the role the U.S. played in destabilizing the region.
- Battle for Ukraine (2014)From FRONTLINE (PBS). Battle for Ukraine: The unrest in Ukraine in early 2014 has provoked one of the biggest confrontations between Russia and the United States since the Cold War. FRONTLINE's James Jones delivers a chilling look at both sides of the ongoing fight.
- Orange revolution (2007)"Assembled from over 300 hours of original footage and archival material (some never before seen, even in Ukraine), and featuring penetrating interviews with key players, including Victor Yushchenko, this documentary chronicles the events of the Orange Revolution, the most successful non-violent political protest of the decade."
- UkraineWorld VideosShort recent online videos from UkraineWorld, an English-language multimedia project about Ukraine run by Internews Ukraine.
- Cambridge Ukrainian Studies PodcastsThis podcast features lectures and discussions about Ukrainian culture and society with students, scholars, and artists around the world. It is part of a larger public programme of seminars, exhibitions, and festivals organised by Cambridge Ukrainian Studies, an initiative of the Department of Slavonic Studies.
- "Making of Modern Ukraine" Timothy Snyder lectures via YouTubeLectures from the "The Making of Modern Ukraine" course by Timothy Snyder, Professor of History at Yale University. course page
- Ten things to know about Ukraine and its cultureFrom the Ukraine Crisis Media Center (UCMC).
- UkrainecastFrom the BBC
- UkraineWorldUkraineWorld is an English-language multimedia project about Ukraine run by Internews Ukraine. Our team produces articles, podcasts, video explainers, analyses, and books about Ukraine in English.
- Ukrainian Writers Speak!City Lights and Deep Vellum Books present Ali Kinsella and Zenia Tompkins celebrating the publication of "Love in Defiance of Pain: Ukrainian Stories," edited by Ali Kinsella, Zenia Tompkins, and Ross Ufberg, published by Deep Vellum. This event was originally broadcast via Zoom on 10/21/22 and hosted by Peter Maravelis. The UMN Libraries have "Love in Defiance of Pain: Ukrainian Stories" in print.
Last Updated: Mar 30, 2023 1:34 PM