This guide covers search tools for research in topics related to Jewish studies.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerialsThe American Theological Library Association (ATLA) Religion Database lists journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion. Some listings link to full text of articles.
- Index to Jewish PeriodicalsSearch English-language journals, articles, book reviews on Jewish culture, history, literature, religion and other areas of related study. Useful for topics in contemporary Jewish and Middle Eastern affairs.
- RAMBIRAMBI - The Index of Articles on Jewish Studies - is a selective bibliography of articles in the various fields of Jewish studies and in the study of Eretz Israel. Articles are in English and in Hebrew, Yiddish, and European languages, and are based scientific research, or contain important information for such research. Coverage is from 1966 to the present.
- Historical AbstractsFind journal articles covering world history from 1450 to the present. Limited to 6 simultaneous users.
- Responsa Project plus Talmudic EncyclopediaA collection of Jewish texts in Hebrew, which embody thousands of years of Jewish learning. It includes Responsa Literature - rabbinic case-law rulings which represent the historical-sociological milieu of real-life situations; the Bible, the Talmud and their principal commentaries; works about Jewish law and customs; codes of Jewish law, such as Maimonides' Mishneh Torah and the Shulchan Aruch with its principal commentaries; midrashim, Zohar, etc. It also includes the Entsiḳlopedyah Talmudit. Limited to 5 simultaneous users.
- Upper Midwest Jewish ArchivesThe Upper Midwest Jewish Archives has materials illustrating the American Jewish experience from a Midwestern perspective, chronicling the activities of the local Jewish population in creating and supporting ethnic/religious communities and advocacy organizations, as well as their efforts to promote social welfare and social justice.
- Compact Memory: German-Jewish Newspapers (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek)305 Jewish newspapers and journals of the German speaking area of the years 1768–1938 and beyond. The newspapers can be printed or saved; some titles have been edited with OCR and are full text searchable.
- Encyclopaedia JudaicaThis online resource is an updated edition of this lauded work on Judaism and features more than 21,000 entries on Jewish life, culture, history, and religion, written by Israeli, American and European subject specialists.
- Encyclopedia of Jewish History and Culture OnlineCovers the global history of Jews from 1750 until the 1950s.Translated from German, approximately 800 entries present the current state of international research and depict a complex portrait of Jewish life with many maps and illustrations.
- Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic WorldCovers the Jews of Muslim lands
- Jewish History: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199730988Publication Date: 2017-05-16In this book, David N. Myers charts the long journey of the Jews through history. At the same time, it points to two unlikely - and decidedly this-worldly - factors to explain the survival of the Jews: antisemitism and assimilation.
- Jewish Literature: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780190076979Publication Date: 2021The story of Jewish literature is a kaleidoscopic one, multilingual and transnational in character, spanning the globe as well as the centuries.In this broad, thought-provoking introduction to Jewish literature from 1492 to the present, cultural historian Ilan Stavans focuses on its multilingual and transnational nature.
- Judaism: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199687350Publication Date: 2014Solomon explores how the Jewish religion has developed in the 2,000 years since the days of the Bible.This Very Short Introduction starts by outlining the basics of practical Judaism - its festivals, prayers, customs, and various sects - and goes on to consider how Judaism has responded to, and dealt with, a number of key issues and debates, including the impact of the Holocaust and theestablishment of the State of Israel.
- Oxford Bibliographies: Jewish StudiesSearch expert commentary and detailed annotated bibliographies to find high quality sources of information in Jewish Studies
Last Updated: May 31, 2023 6:27 PM