Searching Knovel: By topic
In this walk-through, you will:
- search for a topic in Knovel
- work with results to find keywords
- use results to find additional sources
Step 1: Go to Knovel
If necessary, login with your UMN credentials.
Tip: You are not required to create an account with Knovel
Step 2: Search for your topic
In the Search Knovel tab, enter your topic.
For this example, we will search for drones.
Choose the magnifying glass to search.
Step 3: Use the results to find other search terms
Browse the results to find words or phrases you might not have thought of.
Write them down for later searches.
Step 4: Refine your results using related concepts
Notice the Refine by Related Concept list to the left of your search results.
Selecting any of these will apply that concept to your topic search.
In this example, we selected the related concept unmanned to apply it to drones.
Step 5: Use references to find even more information on your topic
Choose and open a result from your search.
Go to the last page for a list of references.
If you find one you like, get it by searching for the title using:
Additional Resources and Getting Help
- Try the tutorial Start a research project with Knovel
- Additional guide: Searching for a material property in Knovel
- Want to know even more about using Knovel? Check out the Knovel video tutorials on the Knovel website.
- If you have any questions, please contact a Librarian