This guide is designed for new researchers who need to find articles, sources, and get started with research in topics related to East Asian studies. See Related Guides for specific countries.
- Libraries SearchSearch the University of Minnesota Libraries to find books, scholarly journal articles, news, magazines, media, and other items in the University's collection. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Bibliography of Asian StudiesCovers nearly 900,000 citations of journal articles, book chapters, and books on all parts of Asia primarily in English. Emphasizes materials published since 1971, but has some materials dating from as early as 1779. Primarily focuses on the humanities and social sciences. Note: Please use WorldCat to search for post-1991 books for more accurate results.
- Asia-Studies Full-Text OnlineAsia-Studies Full-Text Online is the premier database for the study of modern Asia-Pacific. As the exclusive licensee for the region’s most prestigious research institutions, Asia-Studies.com brings together thousands of full-text reports covering 55 countries on a multitude of business, government, economic, and social issues.
Then try any of the following:
- Asia SocietyThe Asia Society’s purpose is to navigate shared futures for Asia and the world across policy, arts and culture, education, sustainability, business, and technology.
- China : trade, politics & cultureWith documents encompassing events from the earliest English embassy to the birth and early years of the Peoples Republic, this resource collects sources from nine archives to give an incredible insight into the changes in China during this period.
- Digital Resources and Projects on East AsiaThis is a page created by researcher Paula R. Curtis. It introduces a collaborative database/table that collects English-language digital resources and projects on East Asia into one central location.
- East Asia Digital LibraryArchival materials from the National Library of Korea and the National Diet Library of Japan, including materials on religion, gender, religion, politics and international relations, artistic works, literature, and novels. In Japanese and Korean. Open Access.
- Empire OnlineSearch original documents and primary sources for the study of 'Empire' and its theories, practices and consequences including exploration, colonization and more including British, French, Spanish, Portuguese, and German points of view, as well as that of indigenous peoples from Africa, India and North America. The sections cover Cultural Contacts, 1492-1969; Empire Writing and the Literature of Empire; The Visible Empire; Religion and Empire; and Race, Class and Colonialism, c 1783-1969.
- Historical AbstractsFind journal articles covering world history from 1450 to the present. Limited to 6 simultaneous users.
- MLA International BibliographyUse the MLA International Bibliography to find scholarly books and articles on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. This index has been compiled by the Modern Language Association of America since 1926.
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Asian HistoryCovers a wide range of topics related to East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and the Middle East. It is substantive, peer-reviewed, and regularly updated.
- Project MuseSearch for full-text journals in literary theory, classics, history and cultural studies, philosophy, film, theater and performing arts, political science, and mathematics.
For more print materials
- East Asian LibraryCollection, in Wilson Library, focused on Chinese, Japanese, and Korean language materials, serving the instructional and research needs of the East Asian studies and more.
Last Updated: Feb 22, 2023 1:44 PM