A guide to help students design effective conference posters using PowerPoint or Google Slides.
In addition to the following links, you can find many great templates by doing a Google search for "free PowerPoint conference poster templates".
Creating a poster
Set up your poster
- Create a new PowerPoint presentation
- Clear the layout: Home > Layout > Blank
- Set the poster size: Design > Slide Size > Page Setup
- Size slide for: Custom
- Enter the dimensions of your poster. Common sizes include 40in x 36in and 56in x 36in.
Prepare your work environment
- Display ruler and guides: View > Ruler and Guides
- Customize grid line options and automatic alignment: View > Guides > Snap to grid
Create a visual theme
- Customize the theme colors: Design > Variants (drop down menu) > Colors
- Customize the fonts: Design > Variants (drop down menu) > Fonts
Insert text, images, and data
- Use the Insert ribbon to add elements to your poster. The ones you will use most often are:
- Text box: Use to create headers and short sections of text
- Shapes: Use to create discrete sections. Place text boxes over the shapes with enough white space
- SmartArt: Use to visually illustrate a process, cycle, hierarchy, or relationship
Last Updated: Sep 16, 2022 2:00 PM