Table of Contents
Have questions? Contact Your Librarians
- Contact Erin with questions about medicine, anatomy, and physiology.
- Contact Wanda with questions about standards and patents
- Contact Caroline with questions about market size, regulatory, and reimbursement.
- ScopusSearch for information from scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Covers the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- Web of ScienceA comprehensive interdisciplinary collection of journal article citations. Subjects generally covered are within science and technology, arts and humanities, and social sciences. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- PubMedSearches MEDLINE, which is the primary source of journal articles for the health sciences (fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, public health, health care systems, and basic sciences). Coverage is from the 1940s to the present. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Embase / Embase ClassicEmbase is a biomedical and pharmacological database covering journal articles, conference proceedings, and gray literature. It is strong in its coverage of pharmaceutical research and international and non-English content. Covers 1947 to present.
- Business Source PremierFind business articles from journals and magazines in marketing, management, information technology, operations, human resources, accounting, finance and economics dating back to 1965.
- MEDLINE (Ovid)Searches MEDLINE, which is the primary source of journal articles for the health sciences (fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, public health, health care systems, and basic sciences). Ovid MEDLINE is optimized for advanced literature searches. Coverage is from the 1940s to the present.
- Google Scholar (Setup connection to get to PDFs)Use Google Scholar to find articles from academic publishers, professional societies, research institutes, and scholarly repositories from colleges and universities. If you are using from off-campus access, change the "Library Settings" to University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Look for the "FindIt@U of M Twin Cities" links in your Google Scholar search results to access full text and PDFs. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
- Engineering VillageSearch journal articles from 1884-1968 on engineering. Searches both Inspec (1898-1968) and Compendex (1884-1968) Archives for articles and conference papers related to engineering, computer science, and physics.
Finding Textbooks & Reference Books
- Access MedicineElectronic book (E-Book) collection of core basic sciences and clinical titles.
- Clinical KeyContains clinical content (clinical overviews, drug monographs, calculators, guidelines) to help diagnose conditions and support decision-making. Also contains extensive current textbook, video, and multimedia content to facilitate deep background research. Create a personal account to download PDF book chapters.
- KnovelOnline access to books, databases, and conference proceedings from a number of publishers that cover all areas of engineering and includes content relevant to related sciences (e.g., chemistry and earth sciences). It includes interactive graphs and tables.
- TDS Health (formerly STAT!Ref)A cross-searchable collection of electronic resources for healthcare professionals.
- DynaMedAn evidence-based clinical decision support tool. Contains over 3,000 topic summaries covering diseases, disorders, diagnostics, and drugs with extensive references to journals and practice guidelines.
- An@tomy.tvA detailed, interactive, 3D model of human anatomy with customized, downloadable images. Focuses on muscles, ligaments, nerves, veins, arteries, and bones. Includes features such as zoom, rotation, angle, layers, extensive text, MRI, clinical slides and xrays, movies, animations, radiology slides, dissection and surface anatomy videos and slides.
Finding Health Statistics
- National Center for Health StatisticsProvides surveys, data, vital statistics, state data and news. NCHS data systems include data on vital events as well as information on health status, lifestyle and exposure to unhealthy influences, the onset and diagnosis of illness and disability, and the use of health care.
- Healthcare Statistics Information (HCUPnet)The Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP, pronounced "H-Cup") is a family of health care databases and related software tools and products developed through a Federal-State-Industry partnership and sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). HCUP databases bring together the data collection efforts of State data organizations, hospital associations, private data organizations, and the Federal government to create a national information resource of patient-level health care data (HCUP Partners).
- ICD 10: International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, 10th RevisionICD10Data.com is a free reference website designed for the fast lookup of all current American ICD-10-CM (diagnosis) and ICD-10-PCS (procedure) medical billing codes.
- MedlinePlusMedlinePlus is a consumer health database that has extensive information from the National Institutes of Health and other trusted sources on over hundreds of diseases and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and dictionaries, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials.
- Sage Data This link opens in a new windowProvides access to statistical data produced by U.S. Federal agencies, States, private organizations, and major intergovernmental organizations. There are up to 2 billion charts, maps, views, rankings, time series and tables available for use in the Data-Planet repository.
- Derwent Innovations Index (Web of Science)Merges patent information from Derwent World Patents Index with the patent citation information from Derwent Patent Citation Index. Users can conduct patent and citation searches of inventions in chemical, electrical, electronic, and mechanical engineering.
Use this site to search for U.S. issued patents and published patent applications.
Direct link to Patent Search page.
Direct link to Patent Classification Homepage.
- Espacenet: European Patent Office SearchSearches through patent documents filed with the European Patent Office, along with 81 other jurisdictions.
- Google Patent SearchAllows for full-text searching of patent grants and applications from the United States and several other major jurisdictions.
- United State Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is the federal agency for granting U.S. patents and registering trademarks.
- The LensAn open global cyber infrastructure to make the innovation system more efficient and fair, more transparent and inclusive. It serves many of the patent documents in the world as open, annotatable digital public goods that are integrated with scholarly and technical literature along with regulatory and business data.
- Canadian Patents Database (CIPO)CIPO's Canadian Patent Database allows you access 150 years of patent descriptions and images.
Tutorial: Patent searching
- ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital LibraryProduced by the American Society for Testing and Materials, this resource provides instant access to the current digital edition of the Annual Book of ASTM Standards.
- IEEE XploreFull-text access to the transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. Includes all current IEEE Standards.
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)NISO, the National Information Standards Organization, a non-profit association accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), identifies, develops, maintains, and publishes technical standards to manage information in today's continually changing digital environment.
- FDA Consensus Standards DatabaseSponsored by the Food and Drug Administration.
Tutorial: Standards: what are they and how can I find them?
- Code of Federal Regulations - Title 21 - Food and DrugsSearch or browse the federal code regarding food and drugs.
- Devices @ FDAA Catalog of Cleared and Approved Medical Devices. To find predicate devices, search by Product Code.
- FDA Device AdviceDevice Advice is the Center for Devices and Radiological Health`s self-service site for medical device and radiation emitting product information. It is an interactive system for obtaining regulatory information concerning medical devices.
- Medical Device Recall DatabaseA database provided by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health. You can search by product name, manufacturer, reason for recall, and recalling firm.
Finding Industry and Market Information
The Business Library website contains licensed databases content, newspapers and journals, and contact information.
- GlobalData Medical This link opens in a new windowMarket research platform for the medical device industry. Includes news, deals, and companies. Each user must register for a personal account using their U of MN email address from the link above.
- BCC Research (Business)BCC provides market research, forecasting, and industry intelligence reports. BCC reports provide information on major economic, scientific, and technological developments in industrial, pharmaceutical, and high technology organizations.
- EMIS ProfessionalFind company and industry information, reports, statistics, proprietary mergers and acquisitions, credit analytics, benchmark indicators and trend comparisons to help understand emerging markets.
- Frost & Sullivan Market Research ReportsUse for business research and to find Frost & Sullivan's market and industry reports for over 300 markets and 250,000 companies for industrial markets organized into categories for Aerospace and Defense, Automotive and Transportation, Chemicals, Materials, Food; Electronics and Security, Energy and Power Systems, Environment and Building Technologies, Healthcare and Medical Devices, Measurement and Instrumentation, Information and Communication Technologies, and Industrial Automation and Process Control.
- MarketResearch.com AcademicMarket research reports on service industries, consumer goods,food and beverage, heavy industry, life sciences, technology and media.
- IBIS World (Business)Search industry reports for the United States, Canada, China, and global topics. Each report provides an overall current picture of an industry, including overviews, leading companies, sales information, and authoritative sources for researching hundreds of industries. Includes Business Environmental Profiles that summarize key drivers for industries in the U.S.
- PitchBookUse PitchBook to search thousands of private equity and venture capital deals by hundreds of criteria. Establish benchmarks, find real time data on deals, identify and analyze comparables, and search investor details.
- CB InsightsNational Science Foundation-backed company that uses data to provide Venture Capitalists, corporate strategy and Mergers & Acquisitions groups, and investment bankers with intelligence on emerging companies and disruptive technology trends.
- Bloomberg ProfessionalNews and analytics for over 129 countries and 250 exchanges for the financial services industry. Offerings include 24-hour historical and 15-minute delayed securities pricing, news, data, and analysis on companies, markets and economies. Access is only available from terminals in Wilson or Walter libraries. See details below.
Bloomberg Professional desktop is available in Wilson Library (West Bank Campus), and laptops in Walter Library (for use in the Toaster). See access instructions below.
Using Bloomberg Professional in Wilson Library. Direct specific questions to the Libraries business specialists: email@example.com.
Using Bloomberg Professional laptops in Walter Library (for use in the Toaster)
- Find Additional Market Sizing and Competitor ResourcesFind more resources available through the UMN Libraries to help you complete your market assessment.
Last Updated: Apr 20, 2023 9:27 AM