Use this to assist you with completing your assignments for GSD 3451W/RUSS 3311W: Major Project Seminar
Tips for Finding News
- To find or browse for articles from a specific newspaper or news magazine, first search by title of the newspaper or magazine in the UMN Library Catalog. If you can't find it there, search Libraries Search or in one of the news databases below.
- For articles on a particular topic or person, use Libraries Search or in one of the news databases below.
- For Russian, you may need to transliterate your terms from Cyrillic to Latin characters.
- For German, don't forget umlauts. "uber" will not bring up "über" in some databases. For "ß," use "ss"
- If you can't find an article online, make an article request via interlibrary loan/digital delivery.
World News Databases
Below are world news databases which contain content in Dutch German, Scandinavian/Nordic, Russian, and other languages.
- Access World NewsFull-text news from over 9,000 news sources in the U.S. and international newspapers, major wire services, and hundreds of local broadcasting outlets and blogs. There are over 100 Minnesota sources. Mostly English language news coverage with some 200 titles in Spanish, French, Afrikaans and other languages.
- FactivaSearch millions of newspapers, business magazines, and newswires with international and foreign language coverage with all editions of the Wall Street Journal. Financial information for publicly traded companies, stocks, funds, currencies, and common market indexes. Limited to 7 simultaneous users.
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports This link opens in a new windowFBIS Daily Reports issued by the U.S. Government. Translations ofbroadcasts, news agency transmissions, newspapers, periodicals, and government statements from nations around the world from 1941 to 1996.
- International Newsstream This link opens in a new windowInternational news from newspapers, newswires, transcripts, and digital-only news sites in full-text format. Over 800 of the world's top news sources.
- World News ConnectionA service bringing news from around the world, translated into English, between 1995 and 2013. The information is obtained from newspaper articles, television and radio broadcasts, online sources, conference proceedings, periodicals, and non-classified reports.
- ANNO (AustriaN Newspapers Online)From the Austrian National Library, scanned images of Austrian newspapers from 16th to 20th centuries. Browsing and searching available.
- Compact Memory: German-Jewish Newspapers (Deutsche Nationalbibliothek)305 Jewish newspapers and journals of the German speaking area of the years 1768–1938 and beyond. The newspapers can be printed or saved; some titles have been edited with OCR and are full text searchable.
- FOCUS MagazinAccess to articles from 1993 to recent issues. No access to most recent issues. Can search and browse articles.
- Der Spiegel (1947-1 year ago)Archive of articles from 1947 to 1 year.. Can search and browse articles.
- ZEFYS Zeitungsinformationssystem (Staatsbibliothek Berlin)Digital images of newspapers from German-speaking Europe. Includes links to news other resources and databases. Browsing and searching available.
- Die Zeit OnlineArchive of articles from 1946 onwards. Can search and browse articles.
- Global Perspectives: Pravda Archive, 1959-1996 (FBIS)Selected articles published by Pravda from 1959 to 1996, as collected and translated into English by the CIA.
- Pravda (1998-present)Kommunisticheskaia Partiia Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Official organ of the Communist Party of the Russian Federation]
- Russian Central NewspapersContains around 40 current Russian central newspapers and weekly magazines, covering the entire spectrum of domestic news, as well as Russias economic and cultural life. Most are in Russian with a few in English.
- Universal Databases (Russia)Provides access to full-text newspapers, journals, and digital libraries compiled and hosted by East View Information Services. Russian-studies resources include: Current Digest of the Russian Press, International Affairs digital archive, Literaturnaia Gazeta digital archive, Russian Central Newspapers, Russian National Bibliography, World News Connection, and more
- Current Digest of the Russian Press.Since 1949 to present, the Current Digest presents a selection of Russian-language press materials each week, carefully translated into English. The translations are intended for use in teaching and research.
- Moscow News (1930-2014)English-language newspaper in Russia. From a mouthpiece of the Communist party to an influential advocate for social and political change, it reflects the shifting ideological, political, social and economic currents that have swept through the Soviet Union and Russia in the last century.
- Izvestiia (1980-present)Izvestiia is among the longest-running Russian newspapers. It has traditionally been popular in intellectual and academic circles and is noted for its serious and balanced reporting.
- Literaturnai͡a gazeta (1929-present)Weekly cultural and political newspaper from Russia/Soviet Union.
- Ogonek (2003-present)One of the oldest weekly magazines in Russia, having been in continuous publication since 1923. Also available in print (1944-2003)
Last Updated: Apr 21, 2023 11:15 AM