Use this to assist you with completing your assignments for LING 4901W & LING 3052V: Capstone Seminar in Linguistics.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199675128Publication Date: 2014In 3,250 entries the Dictionary spans grammar, phonetics, semantics, languages (spoken and written), dialects, andsociolinguistics. It incorporates entries on key scholars of linguistics, both ancient and modern, summarising their specialisms and achievements.
- Ethnologue: Languages of the WorldEthnologue: Languages of the World is a comprehensive reference work cataloging all of the world's known living languages. Our subscription features include: language profiles, classic static country language maps, country profiles, and language family trees (classification).
- International Encyclopedia of LinguisticsOnline encyclopedia on linguistics, including historical, comparative, formal, mathematical, functional, philosophical, and sociolinguistics including connections of linguistics with other disciplines of computer science, mathematics, philosophy, the social and behavioral sciences, and literary studies.
- Oxford English Dictionary OnlineFull-text of the 2nd ed. The OED covers words from across the English-speaking world. It also offers etymological analysis, listings of variant spellings, and shows pronunciation using the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- The Routledge Linguistics Encyclopedia byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780203874950Publication Date: 2010The Routledge Linguistics Encyclopedia is a single-volume encyclopedia covering all major and subsidiary areas of linguistics and applied linguistics.
- Oxford Reference OnlineContains 100 language and subject dictionaries and other reference works, and searches across these resources. Limited to 5 simultaneous users.
More dictionaries and encyclopedias covering Linguistics.
For other dictionaries or encyclopedias covering other topics, search that topic and "dictionaries" or "encyclopedias" as SUBJECTS in ADVANCED SEARCH. For example: "sociolinguistics" and "dictionaries".
For dual foreign language and English dictionaries, search "dictionaries", "english", "language" and the name of the foreign language as SUBJECTS in ADVANCED SEARCH. For example: "dictionaries", "english", "language" "arabic". Also, consult the language research guides.
"Very Short Introduction" eBooks on Linguistics
- The English Language: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780198709251Publication Date: 2018In this Very Short Introduction Simon Horobin investigates how we have arrived at the English we know today, and celebrates the way new speakers and new uses mean that it continues to adapt. Engaging with contemporary concerns about correctness, Horobin considers whether such changes areimprovements, or evidence of slipping standards.
- Languages: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199590599Publication Date: 2012How many languages are there? Are new languages still being discovered? Why are so many languages disappearing? In this Very Short Introduction, linguist Stephen Anderson addresses such questions as he illuminates the science behind languages.
- Linguistics: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780192801487Publication Date: 2003-06-26Linguistics falls in the gap between arts and science, on the edges of which the most fascinating discoveries and the most important problems are found. Beginning at the 'arts' end of the subject with the common origins of languages, and finishing at the 'science' end with the newest discoveries regarding language in the brain, this guide covers all the major aspects of linguistics from a refreshing and insightful angle.
- Multilingualism: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780198724995Publication Date: 2017Considering multilingualism in the context of globalization, Maher also looks at the fate of many endangered languages as they disappear from the world.
- Sociolinguistics: a Very Short Introduction byCall Number: eBookISBN: 9780199858613Publication Date: 2013This Very Short Introduction deals with the social life of language: language in its sociocultural context. The field ranges from micro-analyses to broadly-based policy and planning undertakings. As such, this book draws from sociolinguistics, the sociology of language, and psycholinguistics.The relationship between language and identity - whether of an individual or a group - is a strong thread linking all the topics covered in the book.
Last Updated: Jan 26, 2023 4:53 PM