This guide is for students taking IE 1101, Foundations of Industrial and Systems Engineering.
Off-campus access to library resources
Current University students, staff and faculty should be able to get full text and online access to the University Libraries from anywhere. Here are three ways to access the library full text from off campus.
- Search the University of Minnesota library website. Log in with your UMN Internet ID and password to access resources.
- Log in using the U of M Virtual Private Network (VPN). You will need to download it VPN software to your computer from campus OIT (Office of Information Technology).
- Install the Libraries' Proxy Bookmarklet to your browser and click it to reload the page with your U of M login to get access to full text. Watch a proxy bookmarklet video (3 min) to learn more.
View examples and learn more on our How to get to full text from on and off campus Guide.
- Citation Guides and Style ManualsA guide to different citation styles.
- Citation Managers (e.g. Zotero, EndNote Online, etc.)Citation managers are software packages used to create personalized databases of citation information and notes. They allow you to: import and organize citation information from article indexes and other sources; save links to pdfs and other documents; format citations for your papers and bibliographies using APA and many other styles; and include your own notes.
Data & Statistics
- Statistical Insight This link opens in a new windowSearch statistical publications from US and state government agencies, international intergovernmental organizations, professional and trade organizations, business organizations, commercial publishers, independent research organizations, and universities.
- Statista This link opens in a new windowStatista provides statistical data on many topics including media, business, politics, society, technology and education. Sources include market reports, trade publications, scientific journals, and government databases. Data can be accessed by searching or browsing by industry, topic, country, digital market or infographic. The Global Consumer Survey offers a global perspective on consumption and media usage, covering the offline and online world of the consumer. It is designed to help marketers, planners and product managers understand consumer behavior and consumer interactions with brands.
- Sage Data This link opens in a new windowProvides access to statistical data produced by U.S. Federal agencies, States, private organizations, and major intergovernmental organizations. There are up to 2 billion charts, maps, views, rankings, time series and tables available for use in the Data-Planet repository.
For additional resources, see the Comprehensive Guide for Government Data & Statistics.
Find Science & Engineering Materials
- KnovelOnline access to books, databases, and conference proceedings from a number of publishers that cover all areas of engineering and includes content relevant to related sciences (e.g., chemistry and earth sciences). It includes interactive graphs and tables.
- Web of ScienceA comprehensive interdisciplinary collection of journal article citations. Subjects generally covered are within science and technology, arts and humanities, and social sciences. View this tutorial to learn how to go from a general idea to a very precise set of results of journal articles and scholarly materials.
Find Business & Marketing Information
- Business Source PremierBusiness Source Premier indexes business articles from 2,200 journals and magazines in marketing, management, information technology, operations, human resources, accounting, finance and economics dating back to 1965.
Use this database to find academic literature on business and economic topics.
- Mergent Online (Business)Mergent provides profiles of public corporations from around the world. It provides infomration on company histories, property, financials, subsdiaries, and joint ventures, plus access to press releases and historical annual reports.
Use this database if you are looking for information about a specific company.
- IBIS World (Business)IBIS World provides industry reports for the United States, Canada, China, and selected global topics. Each report provides an overviews, leading companies, products and markets, sales information, and outlooks for an industry.
Use this database to gain an overview of a particular industry, including the major companies operating in it.
- BCC Research (Business)BCC provides market research, forecasting, and industry intelligence reports. BCC reports provide information on major economic, scientific, and technological developments in industrial, pharmaceutical, and high technology organizations.
Use this database if you are interested in the global market for a specific type of industrial, pharmaceutical, or high technology product.
- PitchBookPitchBook contains entries on thousands of private equity and venture capital deals. Each user must create a personal account while on campus using their valid @umn.edu e-mail address. Accounts expire in August of each year.
Use PitchBook to establish benchmarks, find real-time data on deals, identify and analyze comparables, and search investor details.
Get help from the U Libraries - Online!
Peer Research ConsultantsMake an online 30 minute appointment for one-on-one peer assistance with your research. Get help with researching your topic, finding sources, citing sources and more. Peer Research Consultants can also help you get started with faculty-sponsored research.
Chat 24/7 online with the LibrariesAsk us anything! Chat with a librarian, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with any research or library questions.
Schedule an online consultation with the LibrariesSchedule an online consultations for personalized research support primarily for University of Minnesota faculty, instructors, graduate and undergraduate students and staff.
Last Updated: Apr 20, 2023 9:27 AM