TIPS FOR FINDING BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- When looking for books and book chapters:
- What is the difference between Libraries Search and the Library Catalog? Libraries Search includes all items in the Library Catalog but it also includes articles. The Library Catalog includes print books, eBooks, DVDs, journals, and other formats but NOT articles.
- With Advanced Searching, you can limit results to a specific languge, date range and more.
- For Russian or other Cyrillic languages, alway start with a transliterated search with Latin letters.
- If you can't find a book chapter, you can submit a book chapter request via interlibrary loan. You'll get a PDF scan usually within a week. This is a look quicker than requesting the whole book.
- You can request digital delivery scans of parts of books in UMN Collections. To do so fill out an interlibrary loan/digital delivery request
TIPS ON FINDING FILM AND BOOKS OF FILM CRITICISM
1. Libraries Search will bring you to films available via streaming, DVD, and other formats.
2. For specific films, search by TITLE or input the director or actor as AUTHOR in Libraries Search.
3. To find groups of films by national cinema , search "films" and the name of the country as SUBJECTS in Libraries Search. E.g. for Czech films: SUBJECT "films" and SUBJECT "czech republic." Then limit to "videos"
4. For criticism books covering national cinemas, search "motion pictures" and the name of the country as SUBJECTS in Libraries Search.
5. For criticism books covering one film, search the film title as SUBJECT in Libraries Search.
6. For films on reserve for your course, go to "Library Course Materials" on your course's Canvas page.
BELOW ARE COLLECTIONS OF STREAMING VIDEO DATABASES