This guide is designed for new researchers who need to find articles, sources and get started with research in topics related to the design process, elements, principles, and evaluation, color theory and technology and the history of design.
- Design and Applied Arts IndexDAAI is an international index to design and craft journals. It contains annotated references from more than 450 design and craft journals, and data on nearly 50,000 designers, craftspeople, studios, workshops, firms etc. All areas of design and craft are covered, including industrial design, interior design, environmental design, computer aided design, furniture design, ceramics, glass, fashion design, textile design, graphic design, typography, multimedia design, book design, photography, advertising, theatre design, ergonomics, and design management.
- ProQuest Art Design and Architecture CollectionA comprehensive survey of current publications in the fields of visual and applied arts. This collection includes the specialist indexes ARTbibliographies Modern (covering modern and contemporary art), Design and Applied Arts Index (for all aspects of design and crafts) and the International Bibliography of Art (covering scholarship on Western art history), together with a complementary collection of current full-text journals, Arts and Humanities Full Text.
- Textile Technology IndexFind articles with international coverage of textiles, fashion, textile production and processing, and the automation and management systems of these operations, apparel, home furnishings, flooring, and polymer industries.
- Bloomsbury Applied Visual ArtsA resource for students and educators working across multiple fields of practice, including: Fashion and Textiles, Design and Illustration, Photography, Film and Media, Architecture and Interiors, and Marketing and Advertising.
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)A searchable online catalog with millions of digitized items to browse, including photos, maps and books, from libraries, archives, museums, and cultural institutions around the United States.
- VADS. The online resource for visual arts.Visual art collections comprising over 100,000 images from institutional sources contributed for use in learning, teaching and research. Includes art, design, architecture, decorative art, fashion. UK-based.
- Oxford Art OnlineThe most comprehensive online resource for all visual arts worldwide from prehistory to the present day. Provides access to Grove Art Online, Benezit Dictionary of Artists, The Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, and The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. Access is limited to 8 simultaneous users.
Then try any of the following:
- Art Full TextSearch for articles in fine, decorative and commercial art, as well as photography, film and architecture. Limited to 20 simultaneous users. Includes the International Journal of Design and Design Issues.
- JSTORFind full text articles in academic journals or books on the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. JSTOR provides articles from the journal's first issue. In some cases the most recent 2-5 years may not be available. Includes the Journal of Design History.
- Academic Search PremierA great place to start your research on any topic, search multidisciplinary, scholarly research articles. This database provides access to scholarly and peer reviewed journals, popular magazines and other resources. Includes the International Journal of Art and Design Education.
Special Collections and Archives:
- The Northwest Architectural Archives is the repository for the records of architects, engineers, contractors, landscape architects, interior designers, and local professional societies from the Midwest region.
- Historical U.S. Newspapers OnlineThis guide, created by a librarian at Bowling Green University, attempts to provide links to every publicly accessible digitized historical newspaper in the United States
- Proquest US Newsstream (eLibrary Minnesota)U.S. news content as well as archives that stretch back into the 1980s from national and regional news sources including The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Newsday, and Chicago Tribune the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Also check out:
- Minnesota Design CenterAn institution on campus that seeks innovative solutions to the design of physical systems such as infrastructure and open space as well as non-physical systems such as public health or service delivery, helping our region seize the opportunities that lie in the social, technological, environmental, and economic disruptions of our time.
- The Architecture and Landscape Architecture Library is located on the East Bank on the second level, 210 Rapson Hall.
- J. Walter Thompson: Advertising AmericaThe J. Walter Thompson Company archive stands alone as the single most complete and informative corporate record of the history of modern advertising. It includes the account files of some of the world’s biggest brands, such as Kraft, Kodak, Oscar Mayer and Pan Am.
Last Updated: Mar 9, 2023 3:14 PM