Library hours during the end of semester
Extended study hours for finals
Walter Library (east bank): (view more hours)
Walter Library will be open 24/7 starting at 8 am on Friday, Dec 9 to 8 pm to Thursday, Dec. 22 at 6 pm. Note: Only the second floor is open during extended study hours. (To enter the building during extended hours use your UCard at the small, gray scanner box at the middle door on the Mall slide or on left railing on Pleasant St. entrances).
Magrath Library (St. Paul): (view hours)
Extended study area: Monday-Thursday 7am-2am; Friday's 7am-Midnight; Saturday's 10am-Midnight; Sunday's 10am-2am. (bring your Ucard)
Other libraries open regular semester hours
Wilson Library (west bank): (view more hours):
Monday-Thursday 8am-10pm; Friday's 8am-6pm; Saturday's 10am-6pm; Sunday's Noon-10 p.m.
Health Sciences Library (east bank): (view more hours):
Monday-Thursday 8am-9pm; Friday's 8am-6pm; Saturday's Noon-6pm; Sunday's Noon-9pm
Tip: Bring your U card and make a plan for a free walk to your residence hall, bus, apartment, or car after you are done studying! Available 24/7 from 624-WALK (612-624-9255) or try the Rave Guardian Campus Safety App.
Surviving finals and research papers
What are your strengths? What are your goals? Do you want to be more productive? Get motivated? However you approach a research project or studying, the UMN Libraries have tools and tips to help.
- Use a library research guide to find the best databases (a.k.a.search engines for journal articles, newspapers, magazines) for your paper topics or assignments.
- Chat with a librarian 24/7 or schedule a 30 minute online appointment with a peer library tutor
- Try Effective U online tutorials like “Test Like a Ace” or “Boost your study habits”
- Meet online or in person with a peer tutor in a group or one-on-one for MATH, CHEM, PHYS, ECON and 200+ courses
- Try PAWS (Pet Away Worry & Stress) at Wilson Library on Thurs, Dec 15 from 11:30 AM - 1:30PM with registered therapy animal teams—including dogs, bunnies, and chickens.
Join us and register for a free online workshop:
- End of semester planning - study tips and tricks | Sun 12/4 at 7:30-8:00 pm on Zoom
- End of semester planning - study tips and tricks | Fri 12/9 at 12:15-12:45 pm on Zoom
- End of semester planning - study tips and tricks | Tues 12/13 at 12:30- 1:00 pm on Zoom
Monthly PAWS sessions at Wilson Library feature registered therapy animal teams—including dogs, chickens, and other domestic animals like cats and rabbits—that you are welcome to interact with and pet. No registration or fee — just show up and pet away.
Health Sciences Library: Tea & Treats, Makerspace and Virtual Realty study breaks
Join us at the Health Sciences Library 5th floor on Dec 13 (Tue) and Dec 20 (Tue) from 11:00am-2:00pm for tea, packaged treats, ear plugs, and colorful post-its for students to share positive messages on the glass walls across from the service desk.
- Dec 12-16 (12:00pm - 5:00pm): Makerspace - button making, 3D printing, vinyl stickers, more
- Dec 12-16 (12:00pm - 5:00pm): Open VR Studio - meditation & stress relieving/wellness apps
- Dec 13 (11:00am - 2:00pm): Tea and Treats
- Dec 19-22 (12:00pm - 5:00pm): Makerspace - button making, 3D printing, vinyl stickers, more
- Dec 19-22 (12:00pm - 5:00pm): Open VR Studio-meditation & stress relieving/wellness apps
- Dec 20 (11:00am - 2:00pm): Tea and Treats
Long Night Against Procrastination
University Libraries Long Night Against Procrastination
Tuesday, December 13th
6:30pm to 9:30pm
Wilson Library (West Bank) Research Collaboration Studio
Do you have a final project you’re working on? Are you catching up on assignments before the end of the semester? Just need to focus?
Join us for a Long Night Against Procrastination! Get stuff done during structured work time and built-in study breaks with snacks and activities. Don’t miss the late night pizza! Bring your friends and something to work on.
Exam Jam - Peer tutoring
Find extra tutoring, writing help, study workshops, and other resources to help you succeed, all available at no cost. Learn more about Exam Jam.
SMART Peer Tutoring
Finish the semester strong by spending time with a peer tutor! Additional tutoring hours are available from Dec 1 - Dec 21.
Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE)
MCAE tutors are available to help you prepare for finals. Schedule your session now!
Student Writing Support
Writing consultations are available to refine those final papers. Schedule an appointment before times fill up, and be sure to check regularly for the possibility of new and same-day appointments in the event of cancellations or rescheduling.
We're here for you!
The Libraries are still here to help you de-stress throughout the academic year, especially during midterms and finals! While we aren't able to provide our usual activities, this guide contains some ideas we've come up with for helping you relax between your study sessions.
Check out the list of activities and let us know which are most helpful by connecting with us on social media.
UMN Libraries Social Media
Sensory room in Wilson Library
The University Libraries is excited to welcome the first on-campus Sensory Room. This space promotes calm and focus, especially for people who are overwhelmed by sensory input, and/or those who need a sensory outlet to maintain focus. It can also just be a relaxing place to work individually or with others.
The Sensory Room is available to all students and employees of the University and includes adjustable lighting, a sit/stand desk, exercise ball, fidgets, weighted lap pad, wobble seat, pillows, and more. The space is in the basement of Wilson Library (West Bank) and can be reserved for up to two hours per day. Check out the room key at the first-floor service desk at the time of your reservation.
The sensory room was created in response to a student request and designed with student input throughout the process. Contact Richmond Kinney with questions or feedback.