Library hours during the end of semester
Extended study hours for finals
Walter Library (east bank): (view more hours)
Walter Library will be open 24/7 starting at 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 24 to 8 p.m. on Friday, May 6.
Magrath Library (St. Paul): (view hours)
Extended study area: Monday-Thursday 7am-2am; Friday's 7am-Midnight; Saturday's 10am-Midnight; Sunday's 10am-2am. (bring your Ucard)
Other libraries open regular semester hours
Wilson Library (west bank): (view more hours):
Monday-Thursday 8am-10pm; Friday's 8am-6pm; Saturday's 10am-6pm; Sunday's Noon-10 p.m.
Health Sciences Library (east bank): (view more hours):
Monday-Thursday 8am-9pm; Friday's 8am-6pm; Saturday's Noon-6pm; Sunday's Noon-9pm
Tip: Bring your U card and make a plan for a free walk to your residence hall, bus, apartment, or car after you are done studying! Available 24/7 from 624-WALK (612-624-9255) or try the Rave Guardian Campus Safety App.
Surviving finals and research papers
What are your strengths? What are your goals? Do you want to be more productive? Get motivated? However you approach a research project or studying, the UMN Libraries have tools and tips to help.
- Use a library research guide to find the best databases (a.k.a.search engines for journal articles, newspapers, magazines) for your paper topics or assignments.
- Chat with a librarian 24/7 or schedule a 30 minute online appointment with a peer library tutor
- Try Effective U online tutorials like “Test Like a Ace” or “Boost your study habits”
- Meet online or in person with a peer tutor in a group or one-on-one for MATH, CHEM, PHYS, ECON and 200+ courses
- Try PAWS (Pet Away Worry & Stress) at Wilson Library on Thurs, April 28 from 11:30 AM - 1:30PM with registered therapy animal teams—including dogs, bunnies, and chickens.
Join us and register for a free workshop:
- Get ready for Finals : Try the Pomodoro | Fri 4/22 at 3:00 p.m. on Zoom
- End of semester planning - study tips and tricks | Fri 4/29 at 2:15 p.m. on or Sun 5/1 at 7:00 p.m. on Zoom
- Study smarter: Try the Pomodoro (Study day edition) | Tues 5/3 at 12:00 p.m. on Zoom
- Bullet Journaling for Finals | Wed 5/4 at 4:00pm - 4:45pm on Zoom
- Study smarter: Try the Pomodoro | Mon 5/9 at 12 p.m. on Zoom
Stressed? Need a bit of spring? Stop by Walter Library (2nd floor) for a spring study break on Tuesday, April 26 from 4:30 to 5:30 (while supplies last). Paint a pot, plant some seeds, and grab a snack with the UMN Libraries Student Advisory Board. Bring a friend!
Monthly PAWS sessions at Wilson Library feature registered therapy animal teams—including dogs, chickens, and other domestic animals like cats and rabbits—that you are welcome to interact with and pet. No registration or fee — just show up and pet away.
Exam Jam - Peer tutoring
Find extra tutoring, writing help, study workshops, and other resources to help you succeed, all available at no cost to UMN students. Learn more about Exam Jam.
SMART Peer Tutoring
Finish the semester strong by spending time with a peer tutor! Additional tutoring hours are available from April 22 - May 11.
Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE)
MCAE tutors are available to help you prepare for finals. Schedule your session now!
Student Writing Support
Writing consultations are available to refine those final papers. Schedule an appointment before times fill up, and be sure to check regularly for the possibility of new and same-day appointments in the event of cancellations or rescheduling.
We're here for you!
The Libraries are still here to help you de-stress throughout the academic year, especially during midterms and finals! While we aren't able to provide our usual activities, this guide contains some ideas we've come up with for helping you relax between your study sessions.
Check out the list of activities and let us know which are most helpful by connecting with us on social media.
UMN Libraries Social Media