Recommended recording software (computer):
- Audacity (free, Mac or PC)
- Garage Band (free on Mac)
- Windows Sound Recorder (free on PC)
Recommended recording software (phone):
- Voice Memo (free on iPhone)
- Voice Recorder (free on Android)
- Speechnotes (free with ads on Android)
We recommend using Audacity, as it is an excellent recording software that can double as editing software!
Equipment options (if remote/not near campus):
- Laptop (ideal with Zencastr to record phone calls)
Equipment options (if near campus):
You can also check out the following accessories to go with your audio recorder:
Information about the above technology and more can be found on the Toaster Innovation Hub media equipment page.
Depending on how many people are recording and whether each individual has their own microphone or not, you will need to adjust or choose equipment based on what recording modes they offer. The most common recording modes are cardioid and omnidirectional.
- Blue Yeti: Offers all four modes.
- Zoom H2n: Offers omnidirectional recording.
- Blue Snowball: Offers omnidirectional recording.
- 1:Button Studios: Offers cardioid recording.