What kind of examples are included on this page?
As you scroll, you'll find footnote and bibliography entry templates and examples of citations for real sources for the following types of videos:
- Streaming video: Subscription Platforms (Met Opera on Demand, Netflix, etc.)
- Streaming video: YouTube
- Physical video: DVD
- Physical video: VHS (coming soon!)
- Physical video: Reel-to-reel (coming soon!)
Some tips for citing video recordings
- Formatting citations for recordings can involve making a lot of decisions - is the director, the conductor, or the performer(s) more important to your argument? You can choose to list whichever person (performer, composer, conductor, performing ensemble, etc.) that's the most relevant to your argument as the "author" of the recording.
- Sometimes it’s not clear who the “publisher” or distributor of a film is.
- Always include the format (streaming video, DVD, VHS etc.) of the recording you're citing in your footnotes and bibliography entries.
- Unlike citations for print items like books and scores, recordings may not include information about the city of publication; if you don't find one, you can leave this out.
- Include as much information as you can to be sure your reader can identify the item you’re citing, and be consistent.
If you have questions or need help, email Jessica Abbazio, Music Librarian, at email@example.com!
Streaming video: Subscription platforms (Met Opera on Demand, Netflix, etc.)
Streaming video: Subscription platforms (Met Opera on Demand, Netflix, etc.) footnotes:
Streaming video: Subscription platforms (Met Opera on Demand, Netflix, etc.) bibliography entries:
Streaming video: YouTube
Tips for citing YouTube videos:
It can be unclear who created content that’s been posted on YouTube, so the key is to give your reader as much detail as you can about the item itself (which might include doing additional research)
Once you’ve listed all the information you can about the item, fill in the details that will help people access it on YouTube. Especially important is the URL, and you can access a shortened version of this link by clicking the "Share" button under the video player:
The details of your citation will vary depending on the type of source, and the same pieces of information might not be available for every type of video so ask for help if you need it!
Streaming video: YouTube footnotes:
Streaming video: YouTube bibliography entries:
Physical video: DVD
Physical video: DVD footnotes:
Physical video: DVD bibliography entries: